Chapter 14 ♦️ I What?

You sighed, too tired to think about anything, it was still relatively late. You brushed it away exhausted and went to bed without thinking twice about the ongoing pain in your chest.

--------------------------------------------------------------

You woke up due to your alarm, as tired as you were you turned it off and actually got out of bed. You went to the bathroom to take a quick shower to wake you up, you were so asleep during the entire process you didn't see the black mark growing on your chest.

You got into uniform, got out of your room and headed to get breakfast. People were surprised to see you up in time, and Rouxls was pleased, good, you had to make up for yesterday.

"Y/N being up at time? No way." One of your coworkers jokes, their name was Alex.

"Crazy, I know!" You said, you were pretty asleep, they noticed fast and gave you a pat on the back and gave you your list of chores before walking away to start working.

You looked at your list and, uh. What? It's empty..? "Uhm, what? Hey, Alex!" You looked behind you but they were already gone. "Huh... Probably a mistake, I'll go find Rouxls"

You searched around the castle and eventually found him "Oh, Rouxls!" He turned back to face you "Hey Rouxls, uh, Alex gave me my list of chores but it's empty? Uhm?"

"Oh right, no, it's correct" He said

"What? Why? Me? With no chores?"

"Well, thee did clean half of the castle yesterday, you are free today, enjoyeth." He said walking away.

You stood in place with the paper still on your hand "Oh." You said looking at the blank paper "OH YEAH!" You screamed throwing the paper away as a ball before picking it up and throwing it in a proper garbage can. "HELL YEAH! FREE DAY" You shouted once more, going to your dorm to get rid of the pesky uniform.

It was only then when you realized the black mark on your chest. You looked confused, it didn't feel any different, but it did hurt when you touched it. You knew this had to do with Jevil, who else would've done this then?

You went to the elevator and it was only when you waited for it to go down that the nervousness caused you to take deep breaths and made you realize just how hurtful it was to breathe, you didn't seem to have a problem before.

You got out of the elevator once more and avoided taking deep breaths to calm you down since it was counterproductive.

As you got down you were met with an unfamiliar sight, Jevil was in plain sight, he was facing the bars and bouncing a ball up and down in his left hand. "Good night Y/N!"

"Night? What do you mean? I just woke up." You said still walking down the stairs.

"Oh, my mistake, mistake. You usually visit me at night, what is this special meeting for?" He asked, still bouncing the ball.

"I got the free day since I am an incredible worker" You said in a cocky manner, putting yourself against the bars and crossing your arms while looking at the stairs. "Actually, wait, no, Jevil you're a bastard." You said facing him.

"What? What'd I do?!" He baffled laughing.

"You know damn well what happened last night" You said sternly.

"That is not the best sentence to accuse someone with, you are aware right?" He said keeping the same motion with the ball, a sly grin across his face.

"Oh shut up" You said, your cheeks being slightly red "You know what I mean!"

"I do but I don't see the problem, problem" He said confused "You should be happy you could do that, that! Isn't freedom great?" He asked cheerfully.

"No it's not when you can't walk, speak or interact with anything! Plus you killed me!"

"I mean, people always wake up when they die in dreams"

"Ok yeah whatever! But it still hurts! It hurts when I breathe and I have a weird black thing on my chest now" You said angry.

"Oh. Sorry not sorry" He laughed, you grabbed the ball and kept it in your hand "Hey! What for?"

"For everything dude! What do you want for me? Why me?" You asked now confused.

"I'll answer when you give me my ball"

"What are you, a little kid?" You said annoyed

"I'm your nightmare. Literally" He laughed

"Ugh." You threw him the ball and he went back to the same motion.

"Ok, what was the question again, again?" He asked, smiling.

"WHY ME?!" You shouted.

"Oh right!" He gleamed "Ok so. I'll be honest with you, you. Many other workers have come to this level and asked to the void if someone was here. While I could hear them, I didn't think they were the right ones to talk with. They were too... Too much. Too nosy, too curious, too dull, too trustful, blah blah blah, you get my point! But you were just right! I could tell from the beginning! You were..."

"Normal?"

"No! Mediocre!" He smiled.

"Wow thanks Jevil." You said sternly.

"Mediocrity is just what I was looking for! You're not too anything, you're a background character!"

"Jevil are you trying to make me kill myself or what?" You asked confused.

"No, no, please don't! You're seeing it wrong, mediocrity means you can still grow, you can be shaped however you want! The background character might just be the main antagonist!"

"But they can't be the protagonist"

"Who needs protagonists when you have antagonists?" He laughed.

"Jevil..." You sighed "Listen, I don't know what philosofical view you are trying to share with me, but from my point of view you're saying I'm the most easy to manipulate to benefit your outcome."

"Eh" He said "Close enough to what I mean, I just want you to know I'm helping you, you"

"You aren't helping me by giving me pain when breathing"

"Right, that, I'm not quite sure what you mean, mean" He said, it was surprising how he caught the ball each time.

"I mean that in the middle of my chest I have some black stain and it hurts when I breathe."

"Well what the hell do I have to do with that, that?" He asked somewhat offended.

"Because it had to be you, come on! Who else? Plus you did kill me in my dream!"

"Yeah, your dream? Dream, a dream! It's a dream Y/N!" He kept repeating. "Plus, it's not like I can help you treat it, unless you wanna start stripping I'm not quite sure what you want from me" He laughed.

You sat down in front of him, crossing your legs and putting your head against the bars, looking at the ground.

"Are you praying or..?" He asked, you could hear the ball more loudly now since it was closer to your ears when it hit the ground, you just sighed tired and closed your eyes.

Eventually the ball stopped, something you deemed impossible, you looked up to see what was going on but was met with Jevil's face right in front of you, if it weren't for the bars you would've practically kissed, instead of jumping from the shock like usual you stood in place. "Hey" Neither of you moved.

"Where does it hurt?" He asked, you touched the part where it hurt.

"You asked your questions, I wanna ask mine now, now." You could feel his breath.

"Shoot" Your hand still on your chest.

"What do you want from me?" He asked smiling, grabbing the hand on your chest and bringing it close to his face, his warm breath was quite noticeable on your cold hand. You got nervous but you weren't going to show it, you were always scared and confused when he was around so this once you were going to follow his game.