Chapter 1

Bella P.O.V

It was a beautiful day! Oh, I loved the sunny days! The air is fresh, wind blows through my hair. The sky barely has any clouds and the sun is at the highest point in the sky. The roses at the meadow looked so beautiful. I loved it.

"My lady! Lady!"

I stop my happy dance and turn to the trees where my best friend, Alice, my Nana's daughter came running to the meadow. She's about my age, seven but she helps a lot at Momma's and Papa's mansion.

"My Lady, your mother is looking for you," she said, taking my arm. I pick up my skirt so it won't get dirty with the mud in the woods and Momma won't notice I've been here.

I'm not allowed anywhere in the woods, but one day when I was wondering around I got the curiosity to know what was in here and I found this magical meadow and I called it Paradise.

Alice and I ran across the forest until a flapping sound made me stop.

"My lady, we have to go." Alice pulls my arm.

"Wait," I say, walking towards the sound. A little baby bird. It's stuck, it can't fly. I pick it up, blood coming out of it's side and his wing looked broken. "Alice, it's injured."

"Should we take it to Madam Cope?" She asked.

"No, let's take it back to the mansion," I said. "Momma probably knows something."

I take the little bird and we continue to walk across the woods. It didn't matter if my dress that Nana made me gets dirty, I want to help this little bird.

By the time we reach town, we're covered in dirt but with a huge smile on our faces, looking at the little bird in my hands.

"Hello, Mrs. Newton!" I shout to the lady who gives our household all the delicious fruit and vegetables we eat for dinner.

"Good afternoon, my Lady," she says back, taking her son's hand, who's an age older than me.

People across town stopped to say hi or ask what happened and why we're covered in dirt. People are very nice, except for some men at the old bar who looked at me with a scary look. I touch some horses, waiting outside some of the houses and pet dogs that come up to me and give them a piece of bread I take with me every day.

"Oh, lord!" Nana runs up to us when we cross the kitchen back door. "Alice! Lady! What in heaven's name happened to you?" She almost shouted.

"Nana, it's injured." I show her the bird.

"Isabella, that bird is covered in dirt. God, your dress is ruined," she whined.

"What's with all-For God's sake, what happened?" Mother ran in and stopped right in front of us with a shocked expression. I didn't think being covered in dirt will be this bad. "Explain this!"

"Mother, it's injured." I show her the bird.

"Bella, what happened to you?" She asked, ignoring the bird.

"We fell on a puddle of mud," Alice lied.

"No," I said. I walk up to Momma who kneels in front of me, waiting for the answer. "Momma, I was in the woods. Alice followed me."

"Isabella, you know that the woods are prohibited to cross. Especially for a lady of your class," Mother snapped.

"I wondered what was in there, Momma, I didn't mean to disobey," I said, looking at the bird. "I'm sorry, Mother. Look! It's injured, Mother."

"Bella-"

"We can help it, right? We can cure it," I said. "I'll take care of it, Momma, and when it flies again, I'll set it free."