28.

Unedited

Sage;

"Pass me that container."

"What is it?" Novalie asked as she handed it to me. We were making a late dinner, both of us unable to sleep after talking for hours. I was making rice with black eyed peas and oxtail. It was a childhood meal that I never let go of.

"It's just some marinade my mom taught me to make for the oxtail. One thing about being Caribbean is that our food is always seasoned." We decided to try and eat something after I cried my eyes out about Brooke. I felt betrayed but it was well earned considering the situation.

My thing is she acts like I haven't been there with her through her own situation. But I was no longer expecting me out of everyone else because it seems to only lead to more heartbreak.

"Anita just texted me asking if we've seen Angel. They've been missing for a few hours."

"I haven't. I've been here with you." I responded back. Novalie pushed her brows together as she started texting her back and I stared in concern as I turned the stove on.

"She said they got into a bad fight about...us." Novalie breathed as she looked up at me.

"What else is she saying?" I asked as her phone continued to chime. Her eyes grew wider and wider as she read the messages before looking at me.

"Sage..are you in love with Angel?"

"W-what-"

"Sage. Please just be honest. She said that's why they were arguing about and Angel is trying to leave her for you."

"What?!" I hissed as I placed the spoon down. That was never the intention and for Angel to say that without us talking first completely threw me off guard. We agreed to go home and talk about the present and what was happening. Not to leave.

"Nah..nah I don't believe that-"

"She said Angel hurt her and pops had to come and help calm them down. This is just..."

"Let me see the phone. This doesn't sound right at all. I don't know...Bella told me when Anita is on a rampage she can be vindictive. This doesn't.."

"Holy shit." Both Novalie and I gasped at the pictures of bruises on Anita's face. I shook my head, the tears welling in my eyes as I looked at Novalie who had sad eyes.

"No, no I didn't sleep with another abuser. No I didn't-"

"Sage. Sage-"

"No. I feel sick." I gagged before running to the bathroom and shutting the door. I gagged into the toilet, the images flashing in my head. I knew Angel had a temper but to hurt someone like that? Especially their own wife?

"No way..come on, why do I keep meeting people like this? This can't be.."

I pulled out my phone after washing my mouth and dialing angels number. It went Straight to voicemail and I dialed again, but still no answer. My hands were shaking, and something in me told me this wasn't right. Something was wrong.

Angel;

The crickets chirped as I stared into the darkness.  I was laying in bed in my apartment that I had to myself. I had to leave the house before I exploded on Anita again. I was never the one to put my hands on a woman and I refused to start now.

She was pressing my buttons. I knew there was something about her that was so rotten but I ignored it. The entire situation about Monty didn't sit right in my soul. Why would someone go to that much extreme unless someone made them?

I see who it was now. It was Anita this whole time. I wasn't sure what type of sick joke she was playing but enough is enough. The last few years, I did nothing but give her love. I cleaned up her messes, I showered her in gifts and support.

Maybe that's why it was so easy for her to kill him. She was an actual psychopath. She was never innocent and it took me two and a half years to realize that.

My body was naked and sore under the moonlight that spilled through the window. I was glaring into space, my thoughts racing and my heart pounding in my chest. I haven't felt this way since when I thought Bella died.

This depressed, heart broken and empty handed.

I heard something click downstairs and I immediately sat up, grabbing my Glock and walking to my bedroom door. I slowly opened it, not caring that I was completely naked. I prayed someone gave me a reason to use my gun, but instead I dropped it as I saw Sage pointing one at me.

"Sage?" She looked different. Her hair was short and her eyes were angry as she held the gun to me. I swallowed hard and slowly raised my hands up as she continued to glare at me with teary eyes.

"Why did you do that to her?" She asked shakily. I looked at her confused, slowly dropping my hands as I tried to understand what she was talking about.

"What? What are you talking about?"

"Stop lying. I have proof. You fuck on me and go home to beat your wife? You wanna hit someone, hit me! I ruined your relationship! But don't take it out on her, you monster!" Sage sobbed causing me to run a hand down my face.

"What did she say I did, now? Huh? I'm sooooooo evil that everyone can just believe anything everyone says about me, right? Gahead. Use the gun. Use it." I chuckled. I couldn't even recognize my own voice as the sudden rage filled my body. Sage looked at me as she analyzed my eyes, before slowly lowering the gun.

"Nah, go ahead. I'm such a fuck up, so take me out! Let's go!" I yelled as I clapped my hands causing her to jump. I laughed humorlessly before taking my own and putting it to my head.

"Come on. Either you or me, ma. Let's do it."

"No, no no no. I believe you. I believe you." Sage whimpered into my chest after wrapping herself around me. I allowed my tears to stream down my face as she held my naked body.

"I knew you didn't do it. Bella warned me, she warned me about her but I didn't listen. I'm sorry Angel. I should've asked you what really happened. Why would she lie like that?"

"Same reason she lies about everything else. She's a monster and I fell for every lie that she she told me. Now we have to warn Novalie."