21.

Sad little chapter before the...ya know. ⚠️🙃 here's some background about what's really going on inside both Novalie and Sages heads. 

Third point of view:

Sage wiped her tears mixed with rain aggressively off of her red cheeks. She was completely flustered, wanting nothing more than to drink. But instead she cried, sobbing as she continued to walk faster with no destination.

As she walked, she saw a black car that was behind her. She grew scared, pulling her hoodie tighter by her drawstrings as she walked faster, her hand slipping in her pocket for her hunting knife that she always carried when she was alone.

Her phone chimed, her heart hoping it was Novalie as she pulled it out of her pocket with her other hand, but instead it was Angel, the text immediately stopping her from walking.

It's my driver. I told him to be in the area just in case you needed him. - A.

Sage stared at the text message, the black car slowly pulling up next to her. She looked over and saw the stubby man with a hat and slowly felt relieved as she walked over to the car.

How did you know where I was? - S.

I figured you went home. To fix things. He'll take you anywhere you want. Just...make good choices. - A.

"Ma'am? Where would you like to go?"

Sage's heart was beating fast in her chest as the tears welled in her eyes before swallowing hard. She didn't know what to do, unsure of where to go. Brooke hasn't made any effort to text her, still upset about the entire argument. Sage felt betrayed by everyone, quite frankly, back to square one.

She was that little girl who had no one, again.

Except one person, she thought, but the tears streamed down her face knowing that Angel wasn't even hers, and Novalie wasn't either anymore.

And she was nobody's. Nobody's best friend, nobody's daughter, and nobody's lover. Just someone who gives and gives until they're empty and left to fend for themselves.

"I know where we can go." Sage whispered, the driver nodding sadly before taking down the address and pulling off, Sage slowly curling up in the back seat, her eyes drifting closed.

Novalie stared down at her hands with sadness, wishing she could just rewind. She wanted to go back to the night they went to the bar. Instead of getting upset, she wanted to rewind and place boundaries, claiming what's hers instead of feeling jealous and insecure.

Instead of pushing her partner away, she should've vocalized how she felt. But maybe vocalizing was too much. She's never seen Sage act so...different. It was new for Novalie as much as it was new for Sage. Novalie thought back to when it all started, watching the way she would play with Ariel. Her mannerism was different, as if she was actually a child again playing with the Barbie dolls that we've bought her for Christmas and birthdays.

Novalie knew Sage noticed the shift, disappearing after a while. She told her fiancée she needed to get something from her office, but Novalie knew she was lying because of her location. It said Dave's Bar, but she never said anything about it.

Instead, she endured the drunk kisses and orgasms, which eventually turned redundant and boring. She wondered if that's why the thought of being with Anita was so enticing. The spontaneity, the passion and the chemistry was unmatched to what she's been experiencing for the last few months.

Novalie huffed in frustration, the tears streaming down her face as she stared at her phone. Sage turned off her location and it cut deep, but she knew it was because it was over.

She didn't know what else to do. She looked down at a sleeping Ariel, her daughter crawling into her bed after Sage stormed out of the house. She felt as if they couldn't communicate anymore and it was frustrating her.

Brooke, can you come over? - N.

Novalie waited for a response, but received nothing which made her frown slightly. She wanted nothing more than some advice, but didn't know who she could count on. Claire was too young to understand what was going on, and Novalie and her mother don't really speak.

"Fuck..just fuck it."

Sage walked toward the abandoned house, her heart beating rapidly in her chest. Every thud echoed in her head as she stepped toward her childhood home for the first time since her mother died.

The neighborhood was different compared to where she lived now. It wasn't as ran down as before, but it wasn't the worst place to live when you think you're protected. Sage smiled at the memories of her mom always calling her name so she could come inside before sundown, staring at the doorway that had chipped paint and dust as she imagined it painted red, matching her mothers red painted toes and red lipstick.

It was always clean, the porch filled with plants and various statues that were eccentric to the neighborhood. Everyone loved her mother. She was always kind and giving, and the one time she stood up for herself after deciding she couldn't give anymore led to her death.

It led to this, Sage walking up the stairs as her feelings of ambivalence caused her hand to shake with nerves. Her tears were unstoppable, leaving a trail as she walked down the hallway to the kitchen where her mother met her demise.

Sage dropped to her knees as she stared at the now remodeled floor. Her mind flashed back to the memory of her mothers body laying in a puddle of blood, a sob ripping through her body.

"I miss you mama. I wish you could just come and save me. You would give me the greatest hug. I miss you so much it hurts. Sometimes I wish I could just come to you. I'm so tired of fighting. I'm tired of feeling so alone and it's all his fault. He hurt me so bad mommy. He hurt me so bad that it made me lose myself. I'm not the fancy dress maker I've always wanted to be. I stopped wearing dresses and skirts, and talking about boys. I stopped dancing the way we used to. I never got my first kiss from my Prince Charming. I started dating girls, but it never works out. I hurt my partner so bad and I don't know what the right decision to make is. Please ask God to give me a sign because I can't do this anymore."