1.

Novalie:

Shit shit shit, I'm late. I'm so late, I thought as I ran down the campus parking lot in my white crocs. I was exhausted, having a late night at work again even though the tips were worth it. I wanted nothing more than to sleep in, but I knew I couldn't since I had a degree waiting for me at the end of this semester.

I was a nursing student at NYU and couldn't wait to graduate and get a better job at a hospital. It's been my dream to be a nurse ever since I was a child. I've always had a thing for helping people. I wasn't sure why. I guess it's because I was so used to taking handouts from people ever since my mom disappeared when I was sixteen.

Then again, that was a story for another day.

I rushed into the science building, bouncing my leg as I waited for the elevator to hit the ground floor. I checked my watch, groaning as I saw I was now thirty minutes late for anatomy and physiology. This is what I get for scheduling an eight a.m class. Not to mention it was three hours straight.

I slipped into the elevator and sighed in relief as I watched the numbers count up to the fourth floor. I walked out, sipping my red-bull as I scurried over to the lab, groaning as I tried to open the door and it was locked.

Great. The professor is one of those.

I heard footsteps walk to the door and I swallowed hard as it swung open, my eyes meeting the professor's hazel ones causing me to gulp. They had an intense glare behind their glasses, their cat-shaped eyes roaming my figure that sat in my blue scrubs.

"You're late."

"I'm sorry."

"It's the first day. Very bad first impression. Come on and take a seat." Her voice was gentle, but still held a hard tone causing me to feel even more intimidated. I walked in behind them, the entire class staring as I scurried over to the only empty seat in the back of the lab. I was the only one at the table and sighed before looking around to see everyone still staring at me causing me to roll my eyes.

The professor walked over, slowly placing a syllabus in front of me, her eyes lingering on mine for a second before walking back into the front of the room. I swallowed hard and looked down, sighing at the requirements that already overwhelmed me.

Nothing we can't handle, Nova. We got this.

"Okay..continuing on to what I was saying before..PPE is a must. We will be doing a lot of hands-on work in this lab. It's not going to be the usual A&P considering you are grad students. It will be harder and will require your..presence-" Professor Madden's eyes met mine as she emphasized the word presence causing me to swallow hard with a slight nod. She smirked slightly as she dragged her eyes from mine, continuing to speak while looking over the class.

Jeez. Way to call someone out.

"Your lab coats are apart of your grade. If you don't wear them to class, points will automatically be taken off. Since it's the first day I will let it slide, but next week I expect to see white coats." I was the only one without a white coat on and I felt myself slowly start to feel small as everyone looked over at me yet again.

Jesus Christ.

"Okay, we will be going over the course overview for the semester and you'll be set free.  Next week we will start our first lab. If you're in my lecture class, you're allowed to stay where you are. We will be using this room for the day."

I was indeed in Professor Madden's lecture class. She was the only one that had good reviews on rate my professor. Apparently she was an easy grader and very precise with her requirements and what she expects from her students.

Can someone add constantly throwing shade to the list?

As we went over the course overview on the syllabus, I couldn't help but allow myself to get a closer look of her. She was definitely a looker, her eyes vibrant under her thin rimmed glasses. She had a sharp jaw, yet her head shape was round which gave her a pointy chin. Her freckles were plastered on her nose and cheeks, her left nostril having a hoop ring causing me to smirk slightly.

She had locs that were shoulder length. They were in two strand twists as if she had just got them redone. It made me wonder if she had someone who did them for her, or if she went to a salon to get them done. I allowed my eyes to slip down to her hands that didn't have a ring on any finger. Her nails were short, painted a soft blue color that complimented her caramel complexion.

Her outfit fit her well, her body slender from what I could see. She wasn't too tall, but wasn't short either. Under her white lab coat was a soft green button down that was tucked into black loose fitted slacks, her belt exposed along with her suspenders. She had on black vans and it made me smile slightly.

I can see your Rick and Morty socks, Professor. How professional.

I looked up and saw her eyes on mine and I swallowed hard before looking away shyly, hiding my face in my hair. I felt embarrassed from getting caught checking her out. I already made a bad impression and now I've made it worse.

Shit. Can this day get any worse?

"...PPE will be provided to you, but it's your responsibility to buy your text books and bring them to class every week. Good luck with the rest of your classes, I'll see you next week."

Mostly everyone stood up to leave the room, leaving me and another student in the classroom as we waited for the lecture to start. Professor Madden stood at her desk, looking down as if she was reading something before looking up.

"Novalie Carter?"

"That's me." I breathed as I looked up. She nodded curtly before marking me present on her attendance sheet and sighing before looking between me and the other student.

"Smart choice to have the same Professor for lecture and lab. Makes it easier." She chuckled awkwardly causing me to nod slowly. It was as if she was trying to start a conversation and it made me think.

Was she anxious? What for?

The classroom started to fill with students and I sipped the rest of my red-bull before standing up slowly and walking over to the garbage can. I threw it out and walked back to my desk, sitting down and looking up to see the Professor looking away abruptly causing my eyebrows to lift slightly.

Huh.

The syllabus for the lecture class were passed around and I felt myself grow tired as I looked down at the paper. I was exhausted, wishing the red-bull gave me the power I needed. But I knew my body was probably immune to whatever garbage was inside of it.

I tried my best to stay awake, shaking my leg but it didn't work as my eyes started to droop, my head falling forward as the exhaustion took over.

I wasn't sure what happened after I dosed off, but I woke up to soft tapping on my desk causing me to jump as I gasped, looking up and around to see the classroom was empty except for me and the Professor.

"This won't be an everyday thing will it?" Professor Madden asked softly as she looked down at me with a slight frown. I swallowed hard and shook my head, my cheeks hot with embarrassment as I continued to stare up at her. She nodded, before turning around and walking out of the room, leaving me with my thoughts as I tried to calm my racing heartbeat.

Shit.

Pls leave comments and let me know what you think!!!