Chapter 30

Massimo POV

Sweat and blood ran down my body as I pulled my knife from a the guys chest cavity.

He grunts in pain before falling to his knees. With a kick to his chest, he falls on his back.

Looking around me, I realize there were only a few more guards left at the end of the hall where Spencer and a few other men were already taking care of them.

A pant leaves my lips as I wipe the bloody blade on the now dead guys pant leg. Sliding it back into my sleeve pocket, I move the sweaty hair off my forehead with a bloody hand.

"Boss," Someone yells down the hall. My head snaps towards the voice to see Chester looking at the now open office door, his back tense.

I go to move forward, the worst thoughts coming to mind, when I freeze. Everything seems to go in slow motion.

Relief washes over me when I see Serena walking out with a slight limp. She was okay.

My eyes slide over her and see cuts across her body, leaving trails of fresh and dried blood on her bare skin. The bottom portion of her dress was taken off showing more deep wounds across her thighs.

Her face, hands, and arms were coated in blood that didn't appear to be hers.

My eyes shoot to her face to make sure she was okay but a shiver ran through me as her eyes scanned the floor full of dead bodies. She showed no reaction or emotion at the scene in front of her.

Chester takes a few steps away from her as Tomas and Spencer walk to us, standing on either side of me.

Serenas eyes move to mine and I can see the darkness in them. Her face is bare of emotion as she stands there scanning me before looking over the others.

My eyes slowly drop to her hand and my heart stops.

In her hand, is Ricardo's head that she holds by his blood-soaked hair.

The eyes are still open and the jaw is dropped open.

I felt Spencer nudge my arm lightly, urging me to speak.

"Are you okay?" I asked approaching her and looking deep into her eyes. She doesn't verbally answer but gives me a reassuring nod.

I try to look deep into her eyes but there was nothing.

She was not Serena right now, she was Portador de la Muerte.

Her eyes move behind me to Tomas.

I turn to look at him to see his eyes stuck on his father's head in her hands.

"Ricardo is dead. That means according to the Mafia law you will take his place as the heir to the Spanish. You can choose to reject the position upon finding another successor. Do you accept the position?" She asks in a dull tone while staring hard at him. His eyes slowly move to hers with sadness in them at her condition.

"I accept and agree to protect and change this mafia for the better," Tomas answers. The hallway goes silent as she nods her head, moving down the hall and walking over the dead bodies like they were just in her way.

I was frozen for a few seconds as I watch her walk down the hallway to the front corridor.

"What is she doing with the head?" Spencer asks in confusion.

"She has to prove his death to the mafias," Tomas says in a daze. "He wanted her to kill him and he got what he wanted. She is no longer Serena." With that, he follows her down the hall.

Looking over at Spencer, he gives me the same shocked look before we follow as well.

She was already at the door of the ballroom when we catch up. Tomas was talking to her while gesturing to her body, most likely asking her about the cuts, but she stood looking at our men outside the door.

Andrea and Gabriele, who were on guard outside of the ballroom, began to open the door for us with shocked looks on their faces.

Serena doesn't hesitate as she walks onto the platform and to the top of the stairs, looking out at all the people.

Eyes slowly look up at her and the room falls silent within minutes.

She lifts Ricardo's head up for all to see. "Ricardo is dead!" She screams before throwing the head to the ground. "Portador de la muerte took his life. If anyone has a problem with his death step forward."

Her hands fall to her sides as she scans the crowd, her body stiff. She was ready to fight every single person in this room if she has to.

After a few minutes, when nobody dares stand forward she looks over her shoulder to Tomas. He walks forward to stand beside him.

"As the next in line and heir to the throne, Tomas is officially the leader of the Spanish mafia as appointed by me."

"Who are you to determine that?" A voice yells out and her head snaps to the voice. A man had stepped forward and stood at the base of the stairs.

"The bringer of death," She says and the room seems to take a collectable gasp. He stumbles backward to evade her glare and quickly merges with the crowd.

"I am not the enemy to anyone in this room. Every move I have made in the past has been under the pressure of Ricardo, not my own digression. With saying that, I pledge my alliance to Tomas, leader of the Spanish mafia, and Massimo, leader of the Italian mafia. If you are an enemy to them, you become an enemy of mine."

With that she turns to Tomas and puts a hand on his shoulder before turning back out the door.

"Where are you going?" I ask, reaching for her and lightly grabbing her wrist in my hand.

When we stood outside the door, her eyes move to mine. "The infirmary. I am bleeding out."

Her voice progressively gets weaker with every word. Pain becomes evident on her face and emotion begins to show in her eyes.

"Where is it?" I spit out looking at Tomas as he eyes Serena with worry. She starts to lean on my arm for support and I scoop her into my arms as her eyes start to flutter closed.

"I'll show you. Follow me," He says before rushing down the hall. I follow behind him in a slight jog as Serena's body twitches slightly.

"Stay with my, baby"