Chapter 12

Serena POV

We walked around in the water as the bodyguards lingered in the sand a few feet away.

"You can come join us," I say over my shoulder to the men trailing behind on shore. We were only calf-deep. I was using one hand to hold up my dress and the other was in Clayton's.

They seemed to look at him for permission at my lingering question.

"Come one, give the men a break. They have been following us for a good two hours."

He looks at me for a second and smiles.

"So kind, even to strangers," he says, brushing his hand on my cheek. He looks over his shoulder. "If you want to join, you are more than welcome."

One of the men didn't hesitate as he kicked his shoes off and stepped into the water behind us. I laughed and turned to him.

"My feet were getting hot in those shoes," He says in a higher pitched voice. I step a little closer to him while squinting my eyes. I drop Clayton's hand in the process when I get close enough to see his face.

"Chester?" I ask with an arched eyebrow. I watch as his eyes squint at me before they widen.

"Serena?" He asks and I laugh. I was going to correct him when he continues. "Yeah, yeah! I thought your voice was familiar, told you guys," he says the last part over his shoulder.

"I thought you were lying," One of the men says. "Everything you say about women is a lie."

I let out a laugh as hands go onto my hips and pull me back slightly.

"How do you know him?" Clayton asks into my ear, his breath fanning my face.

"I can't tell you," I say and he turns me towards him with a strange expression. Jealousy. "HIPPA."

"I don't care about that," Chester says walking closer to us. "This is the nurse from the states that patched me up before I came back."

"Really?" Clayton asks and I nod my head.

"He came into the ER I work at."

"She is awesome man, you found a keeper. She even knew I was going to leave after I was patched up and told me how to care for it. She must be a mind reader or something, so you better be careful," Chester comments, and I laugh.

"Do you know how many people come into the ER with gunshot wounds then leave before the police can ask questions? They wait for care and then sneak out only to get an infection. Most of them end up needing amputations when the infection spreads to the bone," I say and shake my head.

"How are you healing?" I ask with curiosity.

"Perfectly! It's only been three weeks but it is healing well. Doesn't hurt anymore."

"Did the ibuprofen help?"

"Surprisingly well. I thought it was going to hurt forever without hospital opioids but it did the trick!"

Clayton's grip tightens on me again as if he didn't want me conversing anymore.

"Well, I'm happy you are doing well," I add before turning to Clayton. He had a salty look in his eyes. "What? If I violated HIPPA I could go to jail in the states."

"I would never let you go to jail," He says in a husky voice. I laugh and shake my head.

"As if you can go against the law," I add before turning away and stepping out of the water, letting my dress fall back down.

I open my mouth to say something else when I am thrown up into the air before being placed over a shoulder.

"What are you doing?" I laugh out at Clayton as he walks us towards the hotel.