Kayano x Reader (Part 2)

Hope this is somewhat what you asked for @HantraxHF . I'm incredibly grateful for your ideas and I hope I'm fulfilling them well enough!

———

Having Kayano's head resting in my lap was the equivalent to cuddling a kitten, I didn't want it to end.  If I could find a way to keep us here forever I would.  She wouldn't need to worry about vengeance and I wouldn't need to remember anything besides her and at this point I was sure that I wouldn't be able to forget the impact she's had on me. 

I felt her stir slightly, already awaking from her slumber to bring this moment to an end.  My eyes glanced at her neck on instinct just to double check there were no leftover tentacles the yellow octopus missed.  All that remained though was her perfect smooth skin.  My fingers went to trace area gently, hopefully soothing her rather than hurting. 

She hummed slightly, her eyelids fluttering open to stare at me through tired, hazel eyes.  I didn't speak, only waiting for her to take in her surroundings and come to grips with her new reality.  A look of guilt and regret washed her features in pain.  The expression didn't fit with her past joyful face, though now that was revealed to only be a mask. 

I frowned at the idea that every interaction we had was only a means to an end for her when it had felt so real to me, even if I didn't remember a lot of it.  In a way it felt like a betrayal to me even if I wasn't her intended target.  Her stare locked with mine for a brief moment before her eyes brimmed with tears.  I only watched with my own grief as one by one the teardrops slid down her beautiful face. 

"I just wanted to avenge my sister, I didn't want anything else, not even the truth," she whispered through her soft crying.  My arms carefully wrapped around her body, pulling her into a comforting embrace.  Her head rested limply against my chest as her tears stained my shirt.  I didn't move, instead letting her cleanse her body of her emotions. 

I leaned down to rest against her head, her trembling reverberating through my own body.  Even through her pain this was still better than her bloodlust.  She was awakened in a way she wasn't mere moments ago.  This didn't feel fake or practiced but insanely real. 

"You didn't fake everything, right?" I mumbled quietly, desperate for an answer.  If this was her acting then I wasn't sure I could trust my senses almost as much as I couldn't trust my mind.  Her shivering paused momentarily, her head lifting to gaze at me.  Shame pulled at her lips. 

"In the beginning I was," she confessed truthfully.  I frowned, disappointed with her answer.  How could someone make me feel so good and yet have a whole fake personality?  Did that mean I was wrong to trust her, or to become invested?  "But when I met you I made the rookie mistake of getting attached," she finished with a blush coating her cheeks.  Heat crept up my neck at her implication.  Attached.  The memory of her lips on mine made my face burn hotter. 

Another memory resurfaced, an earlier time that felt like it had been months ago.  Kayano had been there, walking up to me with Gender by her side.  I'd been confused as usual about what I was doing when she declared she'd help me out, taking me to our teacher where he confirmed I was his student.  After her assistance, I'd been the one to ask for her name and swore to myself I'd remember it even if I forgot everything else.

"I'm glad I could be your rookie mistake then," I murmured shyly.  My fingers fidgeted as I looked everywhere but Kayano's stare.  Her hands reached for mine, holding them in her warm grip.  My eyes glanced at her, slightly flustered.  "I'm sorry for kissing you earlier, too." 

"No, I should be the one that's sorry for acting the way I did," she assured me with an apologetic squeeze to my hands.  Her eyelashes fluttered, hazel eyes gazing at me.  "And I didn't mind it...the kiss, that is," she mumbled.  I sighed with relief, a soft smile pulling the corners of my lips. 

I looked down at Kayano, still draped in my lap.  I felt like there was something I was forgetting but it didn't matter.  For once I wasn't troubled that I couldn't remember, only grateful for this moment.  I guided her palm to my lips, pressing a small kiss to the smooth skin on the back of her hand. 

"I don't want to forget that kiss, Kayano.  I want you to stay with me and remind me every day," I ventured with a newfound confidence.  Her eyes widened but I continued quickly before I could forget what I was going to say.  "I want to be your boyfriend, but only if you want me to."  She shot up to her knees, wriggling off my lap to be face to face.  A large smile adorned her face pleasurably.  It was a look I felt like I've seen on her face a million times and still couldn't get over the way it made me feel.  Her hands gripped my shoulders firmly, nearly shaking me with joy. 

"Oh my gosh!  Of course!  Yes yes yes!" she squealed excitedly.  She flung her arms around my neck, pulling me in for a loving hug.  I wound my own arms around her waist, not wanting to ever let her go again and suddenly terrified for what the future held.