35

Kevin didn't feel right about this. He didn't see the point or what good it would do. But Michelle had insisted, so here they were.

They were outside the door to the upstairs bathroom.

He watched as Michelle eased in, making her way to the tub. With a gentle hand, she pulled the curtain aside, her head slumping as she looked down at the horror below. Kevin could only image what she was thinking. Probably what they were all thinking right now, he figured.

Michelle seemed to linger there for a moment, silent.

"Okay," Kevin said. "You've seen him. Can we go now?"

With the same easy hand, Michelle closed the curtain, offering one last gesture of dignity to the dead boy on the other side.

"Where are Caroline and Abby?" Michelle asked, turning toward him.

Kevin suddenly realized that he didn't know. He'd just ran out on them. A spike of shame came to him that he was desperate to suppress as quickly as possible.

"I'm not sure," he said. "If I know Caroline, they're probably in the kitchen. Come on."

Eager to get away from the scene of the crime, he turned and started down the hallway. Michelle followed close behind. They were at the main staircase a moment later, moving down swiftly until they reached the first floor.

That's when he saw it. Droplets of thick, red liquid trailing by the staircase, leading from the east wing to the west. Kevin and Michelle looked at each other. No spoken words were necessary. There was just one word that owned Kevin's mind in that moment.

Kitchen.

Michelle must have thought it too because they both reached in that direction, each careful not to step on any of the droplets that eerily similar to the larger mess they'd just see Toby covered in.

Kevin reached the kitchen door first, pushed his way through, and gasped.

Michelle breached the threshold a moment later. Unlike with the site of Toby's demise, she didn't take in the scene with quite stoicism.

This time, she screamed.