28

Hannah found her next target easily.

Returning to her room, she saw Toby when she rounded the corner. The late-teen was knocking at her door and seemed somewhat startled when she appeared in the hallway outside of her room.

"Hi," he said awkwardly as she approached. "Have you seen Joseph?"

"No, I haven't," Hannah lied.

"Everyone's looking for you both. We have to meet downstairs."

"Why, what's wrong?"

Toby proceeded to tell her about the slashed tires and the disabled phones while Hannah feigned surprise at the current turn of events.

"Abby and Caroline are looking for Joseph. Those two guests are waiting in the parlor. We should get down there."

"Okay."

This was good info, Hannah knew. She had no particular kill order in mind. Whether Toby was the first to go or the last made no real difference to her. It was, however, important that she take her victims one at a time, at least at first until she got the group down to a manageable size. She understood battle tactics enough to know that it was best not to face an enemy head on when you're outnumbered. Knowing that they were all currently divided made her job easier.

Toby was the next to go. But how?

She could shiv him right now, but they were exposed, out in the open. That wouldn't do. She couldn't risk the body being found and tipping her hand. Not to mention the blood. She needed to get him alone. That was easy.

Once they reached the staircase she said, "Wait."

Toby stopped and turned to her.

"There's something I wanted to talk to you about first." She put on a sly smile and puffed out her chest out some. The comely look in her eyes could have rivaled the work of any actress to grace the stage or screen. "Before we head down there, I was thinking, with Mr. Teague gone, we're all out of a job."

Toby said nothing, looking as if he had yet to contemplate this new reality.

"Which means that we'll all be leaving soon," she continued. "This may be our last chance to... you know."

"I don't understand."

The kid was dumb as a box of rocks.

"I know that you've been watching me through that peephole you drilled in the upstairs shower."

Toby's eyes bugged. It was true enough. The hole was subtle, but Hannah had spotted it right away. The kid had probably been watching her ever since she got here. He'd probably been watching Abby for longer than that. Maybe even Burns. Who knows?

Toby started to stammer in panic. "No...wait...I can explain..."

Hannah silenced him by placing a gentle finger over his lips. "I don't mind," she said. "Actually, it kind of turns me on. I've been thinking about asking you to join me sometime."

Toby's jaw dropped, his face so flush you could fry an egg on his cheek.

"But now that all this is happening, we probably won't get the chance. Unless you want to go right now."

That was all she had to say. Gone was any urgency associated with slashed tires or dead telephones, all of it now replaced by a surging of youthful hormones run amok.

Playfully, she took Toby by the hand and led him down the next hallway to the main bathroom. She followed him inside and shut the door behind her. Toby just stood there, unsure what to do.

Still smiling playfully, she said, "You've gotten to watch me. Now I want to watch you."

Taking the cue, Toby began to undress, first his shirt, then his pants. This was definitely something new to him, a mixture of nerves and excitement as he undressed with unshared awkwardness. Hannah, for her part, played it perfect, giving him just enough encouragement and gentle nudging to get him to continue. Soon he was completely naked, standing before her with his hands over his genitals, unsure of what to do next.

"Go ahead in," she urged. "I'll join you soon." She undid the top button on her blouse for effect.

Toby stepped quickly into the shower.

"Now turn around," she said. "Once I'm ready, I'll come in."

Toby did as ordered, waiting with nervous anticipation for one of his many fantasies to finally come true.

Once his back was to her, Hannah moved in quickly, taking the stun gun from the waistline at the small of her back, jamming it into Toby's exposed flesh and touching the trigger. Toby's body collapsed to the bottom of the tub in a mass of naked limbs. Standing over him, Hannah put the stun gun away and reached down, turning the young man over onto his back. All the time, he looked up at her in stunned confusion, his eyes pleading but his mouth powerless to form the words.

"Poor stupid boy," she said.

Toby's eyes were ablaze with fear. She had seen that look before in a dozen other young men, all of which had died worse than he was about to.

Now with the tub there to catch the blood, not to mention act as a good hiding place for the body, she was free to get this over with. She thought about slitting his throat the way she had done with Burns. But stick to the same old thing? Nah.

Instead, she took out the Nighthawk and with a quick thrust, stabbed the boy directly in the heart, plunging and twisting.

Two down. Four to go.