Chapter 5: Working Objective

Start from the beginning

However, this only causes him to keep going. The young prince follows his mother all the way to the disclosed Portal Room in the North Wing where every single gateway to another world was kept. There were levels and levels of portal door on every side of the circular room.

Max was confused with why his mother had run here but said nothing about it. He just wanted to know what was going on with her.

"Why do you always have to so many secrets?" Max asks her from behind as he floats over to her. "Please mom. Just a few years ago you entrusted me with the fate of our entire kingdom. How could one little secret be any different?"

The Queen stood in place after his question with a look of longing on her face. A familiar feeling had returned back to her that she hadn't felt in many years. A longing to just leave everything and everyone behind. She just wanted to get out of there and rid herself of that stupid blade.

But Max was right. Tabitha trusted him to lead their kingdom into a raging war against a possessed Cole. A little secret about a mysterious blade was nothing compared to that.

Yet not to Tabitha.

"Max, there are things I keep to myself for a reason-"

"Then tell me!" He exclaims with pleading eyes while dropping to the floor. "I deserve to know...! Dad deserves to know."

Upon mentioning Cole, Tabitha was hit with an immense amount of guilt. She realizes what her son had said was true. Cole, of all people, deserved to know the most about her reaction when seeing the mysterious blade. With a sigh, the Queen eventually gives up on staying silent and decides to speak again. She takes a leisured gaze around the large room, trying to fight the urge not to run away again. Max silently waits in front of the frightened woman with expecting eyes, waiting for her to speak.

Tabitha sighs once more. "I... don't know if I'm ready to tell you the whole story, but I will tell you about that knife." She informs him, reaching her hand out in his direction for him to take. He does and she pulls him over to her. "When I was younger, the first time I passed away, I was transported to the In Between."

Max quickly looks up at the Queen in shock. "The same place Dad was sent to after you defeated him?!" He asks with wide eyes.

She nods her head with a sad smile, gently rubbing his head in the process. "Yes. That knife is called The Blade of Fate. It will transport anyone to The In Between where Phillippio will choose their fate. They had lost it when fighting Perilia and thought that it would've been that way forever, until I did."

Tabitha continues to explain her findings while holding the small teen close to her in the empty Portal Room. However, she didn't tell him the whole truth. That was for when she was fully ready, but for now he and the others were going to have to wait.

The two let go each other and inspect the magical room that they were in, waiting for something to happen.

"Is that all?" Max questions softly, leaning his head onto her chest as she pats his matted, black hair. "Am I able to tell the others?"

Tabitha exhales and nods her head. "Yes you can. But promise me that you won't pry into this subject again, please."

"I promise."

"Thank you, sweetheart." She smiled kindly before letting him go. "Now lets get out of here. You father should be on his way back here, and you still have History homework to finish, young man."

"What?!" Max yelps. "I said that I already did it!"

His mother scoffs at her son's reaction. "Don't act like I didn't know that you were lying just so you can info out me. I know you too well. I went pass your room and saw the assignment still on you desk."