Chapter 7: Protectors

Silver and I stayed in the living room with Knuckles until he woke up. In the meantime, Silver and I talked about our funny marks, wondering what they meant. Then Silver cocked his head at me.

"You said Eggman told you a story," Silver said. "Maybe I now it. I do have several legends in the books Knuckles let me borrow."

"It's the legend of Terra," I tell him. "She lived in ancient times with the echidnian people on this island. She had the same gift I have; she could sense the chaos emeralds and use them better than anybody. One day, her people started to fear her and decided to subdue her with the emeralds. She tried to stop them, but their arrogance took away their best guardian. Ever since the emerald only responded to guardians as strongly as it did for her."

Silver listened intently, he had heard this story but he never paid much attention to it until now.

"Then Mephilis was released into the world," I continue, seeing Silver's eyes widen at the name. "When he was released, the emerald sent Knuckles, Sonic and the others into my world to find Terra's equal. They found me,"

"So that's how we wound up in your world," Silver said. "And why Sonic and the others landed in your dad's workshop."

I nodded. "I don't know if I can use chaos control like Shadow, but at least now I know I can help get the Master Emerald under control."

"Mmmnn," Came a groan.

Silver and I look at the couch and see Knuckles is coming around. I get up from the floor where I was sitting and look at Knuckles. "How do you feel?"

"Dizzy for starters," Knuckles said. "What happened? How did I get here?"

"The Master Emerald was going crazy again," Silver explained. "Emily and sensed it and came to investigate. That's when we found you having trouble. I held the chaos off of you and Em while she got the Emerald under control."

Knuckles seemed to absorb this for a moment, then his eyes widened. "You… controlled the chaos?"

"We both did," I said. "I calmed the Master Emerald down while Silver held back the chaos. I honestly don't know how you can stand having all that energy rush through you like that,"

"I still don't see how…" Knuckles said, trailing off as he sat up.

Silver and I look at each other, then back at Knuckles. "We have a confession to make," Silver said, and we explained our strange marks and the story that Eggman told me.

When we finished, Knuckles seemed deep in thought. "Terra was the first Guardian of the Emeralds and the Island," Knuckles explained. "She started the line of Guardians after the Master Emerald was entrusted to my people. It's said she was the strongest of any of the Guardians, which lead to her tribe fearing her and wanting to subdue her somehow. After that the story branches off; some say the Emerald enveloped her before her people could touch her, others say that she ran away with the eighth chaos emerald never to be seen again. But no one knows for sure what happened."

"Eggman said that the Master Emerald brought you and the others to Earth so you can find the one that was equal to Terra," I said timidly. "Do you think that's even possible?"

"Well," Silver said. "You did get the Master Emerald under control."

"With your help, Silver." I said. "I wouldn't have been able to get through that wall of energy if you weren't around."

"Let me see those marks you two told me about." Knuckles said.

Silver removes his glove and holds his wrist to Knuckles. I also show him my wrist. Silver's was hard to see because of his white fur. Knuckles looked at each of them. "Em, I remember when you got your mark, but where did you get yours Silver?"