Chapter Eighteen

Jessica

There was a tense silence in the car the next morning. Carter looked tired as if he hadn't slept all night, which he probably hadn't as when I had woken up to get a drink of water he was staring at the ceiling, unblinkingly. I had over reacted, stupidly over reacted. All logic had left me when I saw Carter on the ground. I should have checked for a pulse instead of going hysterical. Then, I wouldn't have been so wound up when we had argued, wouldn't have stormed out and we would at least be talking.

Carter wordlessly left me outside the gates. I was immediately looking for an entry point. The wall was sheer and impossible to climb over. Instead I focused on the guard station. Who, luckily fro me were changing. I darted past their talking figures. Staying close the the wall. I looked for the ventilation system entrance. I spotted it half hidden behind a tree. I almost crawled over, keeping a wary eye on the security cameras which moved every ten seconds. I slid behind the oak tree just as the camera turned and let out a shaky breath. Even though all the guard now knew me, didn't mean they could see it was me from where they stood. I had already been shot at once, but Carter had stepped in quickly and saved me. I hit my head off the tree at the sudden thought that entered my head. Did Carter really want me dead?

I took a deep breath and cursed my slowness. I took out the screwdriver from my backpack and unscrewed the vent. It came off easily. I put the screwdriver in my back pocket and crawled into the vent. It was narrow and cool after the heat of the sun. I was thankful for the thousandth time that I wasn't claustrophobic as the vents were the same width as my shoulders, maybe a centimetre wider. I shuffled forward, the backpack being pushed into my back.

I came to a drop, which I followed, the vents cooling my hot hands and reflecting my pale face off the sides, creating a hundred of me. I reached back and checked my crumpled floor plan, pausing to scan it. I continued shuffling after checking it a few more times. Every noise caused me to stop and listen, just to be sure. My mind yet again travelled to Carter, and I wondered if he was still mad at me. I didn't mind if he made fun of me I just wanted him to talk to me again.

I reached my destination. A grill covered the opening to an empty office. It was the average, lots of desks, laptops and a water dispenser type office. It could be part of a travel agency but obviously wasn't. I could see that someone had brightened up their desk with family photos and a giraffe pen. Reaching back to take the screwdriver from my back pocket, the necklace Carter gave me fell onto the vent. I cursed slightly and put it under my top. I hadn't taken it off since he put it on me.

I began unscrewing the grill. The first two screws went smoothly but the third jammed and I had to use all my force to get it to begin twisting. A cloud of what looked like smoke started filling up the vent. I assumed it was knock out gas. Some caught in my throat and I choked. I tried to continue unscrewing but I only got the third one off when my hands began to ignore my brain signals. I spluttered, trying to take a breath of healthy air, but the gas was taking it all out. The steel walls seemed to be moving in on me and I began to get scared. Some part of my brain was telling me this wasn't knock out gas but I struggled to listen to it.

Instead my mind drifted to Carter, I choked on a sudden thought. He had already killed two people since I'd been here. It wouldn't bother him to kill a third. I pushed the thought back as my brain began to shut down. I could feel myself going under as I struggled to breathe through the mist that seemed inhabit the whole vent. I choked again, and then the world turned black.

Carter

“Don't worry, she'll get over it” Joshua told me. I had told him about our argument.

“You weren't there” I told him, scanning the monitor. A red dot was flashing along the vents. I had left out the fact the vents were heat sensored.

“Dude, just tell her you're sorry and she'll forgive you, she's that kind of girl.” He said, leaning against the desk.

“Since when did you become the expert?” I asked him. The red dot had stopped moving above one of the empty offices. I transferred the tracker onto a hand held and began to walk towards the office.

“Just trust me.”Joshua grinned. I rolled my eyes at him. Continuing down the corridor. Following the path Jessica was taking. The dot began flickering and I frowned. That wasn't supposed to happen.

“When were the heat sensors in the upper vents changed?” I asked Joshua, stopping and shaking the hand held.

“Last week” He replied instantly. “Why?”

“Something is blocking out the heat sensors in the shaft Jessica's in.” I told him, frowning again. The hand held was fine, showing full battery. We were within thirty feet of the office. Walking a few more steps again I stopped and smelt the air. It didn't smell right. As we got closer to the office the smell got stronger. Gas.

I looked at Joshua for a split second then bolted towards the office. I pulled down the handle. I was locked. I swore. I rammed it with my shoulder. It moved slightly. On the third try it opened. The smell of gas nearly make me collapse. I pulled my shirt over my mouth and nose and ran in. The grill was hanging from its last screw. I ripped it off with my weight and jumped onto a desk, sending a pen pot flying. I reached into the vent and felt for Jessica's shoulders. I found them and pulled her limp, unconscious body out of the vent. Jumping of the desk, I began to feel faint, the need for clean air becoming stronger. Dragging her dead weight out the room, I slipped on a pen and nearly fell on top of Jessica. I stumbled out of the office and dragged her down the corridor slightly, to cleaner air. Joshua slammed the door shut and produced and oxygen mask. I took it and took a massive gulp. My head cleared instantly.

I spluttered as I made my way to Jessica with the mask. Her face was paler than usual, black hair messy with strands escaping from her pony tail.. I placed the mask over her mouth and let the fresh oxygen rush in. She didn't appear to take it in. I tried again, desperation rising in my chest. Dropping the mask I felt for a pulse, moving the delicate chain of her necklace out of the way. I placed to fingers on her neck, waiting for the pulse. There wasn't one.

AN: Please Vomment!!!!! Sorry it took me a while to upload!