Chapter Seven

Jessica

“Don't worry about it” Miss Harper told me as we watched Carter storm off.

“Does he do that a lot?” I asked, watching him talk to another soldier, I couldn't hear what they said but the other soldier nodded and they walked out.

“Increasingly more often” Miss Harper told me. “The cause of the increase is most likely you” She continued. I remembered Carter's face the first time I had seen him, it had been scowling at me, but then again, it hadn't exactly stopped scowling.

“I'm guessing he doesn't like me, then” I said tightening my ponytail, I tucked a strand of hair behind my ear absent-mindedly.

“No, he just hates the fact that you are better at something than he is. He's just that kind of guy” She told me, rummaging around in one of her perfectly clean wooden draws in her desk. She pulled out a earpiece and small black box. “These are yours” She told me, handing them over, the box was lighter than I expected.

“Why do I need this If I'm supposed to be breaking in?” I asked confused.

“Oh, no this is just for general use, if you need to find either me or Carter quickly.”

I nodded, fiddling round with the box. “What should I do now?” I asked.

“Well, a good idea for you would be to explore and get used to the layout. This will be where you will do your job the most so you had better get used to it.” Miss Harper smiled at me, it was a warm smile, I felt myself smiling back.

“So basically I get free fun of the place?” I asked her, looking round at the various exits.

“Not quite, try to stay out of the way of security, they are supposed to report any unknown personnel, which technically you are, as you are our break-and-enterer. You're testing our security men as well as our computers.”

I nodded. “Stay out of sight, gotcha.” I said turning away.

“Oh, And Jessica?” Miss Harper called to me. I turned back slightly. “You'll find Carter beating up some poor soul in the gym when you're done.”

I laughed. I walked out of the room, taking notice of everything. There were currently thirteen people in the main room, ten computer stations and one main computer. One security guard was prowling around the other side. Slipping out one of the doors I walked on, past the room I had previously broken into and on towards a deeper part of the building.

I heard footsteps and quickly melted into the shadows. A tough looking security guard walked past, his gun resting under his arm, I could tell he was alert though. His hands were tight on the other half of the gun. From the way he walked confidently down the corridor I could tell he was a black-belt. They had a certain way of walking, not quite sauntering but not normal walking. I, personally knew this because I was a black belt in ju-jitsu and had never gotten a chance at showing it off. The soldier passed, unaware of my existence and I slipped down the corridor in the oppisite direction that he had gone.

***

Two hours later I had mapped out the entire building, there were six floors in total. The main vaults were in the second and third levels. The main room was on the fourth floor and the rest was mainly offices. The gym was on the first floor, which, unfortunately, was where I was currently heading.

I heard the sound of fighting and I followed it. Numerous grunts and heavy breathing guided me towards a locker area. As I walked in, the heavy smell of deodorant hit me, so strong I could almost taste it. I looked around the small locker room. I noticed surprised that my name had been added to a locker. It was an American high school style locker. With a combination code. I walked over to it, fingering the lock, I wondered my combination. Taking the black box from my back pocket I turned it round.

7-23-16

I was guessing, that was my combination. I tried it, getting it wrong a few times because I wasn't used to it but eventually got it open. I reached back into my pocket to put the black box in when I heard a yell from the gym. I ran towards the sound. Stopping at the door I peered in and saw Carter and another man fighting. I leant against the door frame to watch.

Carter lashed out, surprising the other man. I watched, amused as they circled each other. Carter really took combat practice seriously. He lashed out again, and again, forcing the other man back.

“You’re not even trying!” He shouted at the man as he kicked his arm. The other man’s face hardened and he punched Carter in the jaw. I grinned as Carter stumbled back, surprised. The other man punched him in the gut again. Carter fell backwards, landing heavily on his back. He let out a sound of surprise as the other man towered over him. I nearly laughed at Carter’s defeat.

I started to turn away when out of the corner of my eye I saw Carter bringing his legs round, bringing the other man down. Carter flipped himself up. The other man staggered to his feet and Carter back kicked him. I gasped as he nearly flew backwards and hit his head of the punching bag. The man fell down unconscious.

“Are you crazy!?” I shouted to Carter, who was breathing heavily. His hair was completely messed up.

“It was combat training” He told me turning to walk towards the lockers. “He’ll be aright.”

I turned to him, astounded at his heartlessness.

“… Probably.”

I ran over to the unconscious man, who groaned and opened his eyes. Pulling himself up he gave me a look between annoyance and pain. He staggered out. I turned to Carter, furious.

“You could have killed him!” I shouted at him.

“But I didn’t” He pointed out. I turned away. I reopening my locker, I threw the tracking device in.

“Be careful with that” Carter said warningly.

I turned back to him “Make m-. God, change your shirt somewhere else.”

He turned to me, eyebrows raised. He had a six pack, and it was amazingly defined. He also had amazingly muscular arms. He might be a jerk, but he was a hot one. He had one eyebrow raised at me, his mouth in a smirk. His fresh shirt still in his hand.

“What?” He asked. “It's a locker room, you don't have to be admiring my six pack”

I was going to punch him.

Suddenly I was furious. “You are ridiculous!” I shouted “First you act like a little kid when I break into the vault with your card, now you're laughing at me? You haven't said one nice thing to me the whole time I've been here! I've had to leave my family, friends. I've had to leave my life behind! And lucky me, I get stuck with you, a mean, immature,conceited, hot JERK! ”

I decided punching wasn't good enough, so I copied what he had done to the other man. I turned suddenly, and my boot made contact with his stomach. He fell back, winded.

I stormed away. I heard him catching his breath behind me, while pulling on his shirt.

“So you think I'm hot?” He asked.

I stared at him incredulously. “you heard nothing else? Only that?”

“Basically” He grinned at me.

“If you don't stop grinning at me like that I'll aim my back kick lower.” I said threateningly.

The smile was wiped of his face pretty quickly.