Chapter Eleven

AN: Sorry for not uploading in ages. I would say I was busy, but that would be a lie. I was making videos for my youtube channel! (You may have notice the videos by every chapter) Any way, you know what to do! Vomment!

Carter

I was not happy. Trailing two, overly hyperactive women around a shopping centre was not my idea of fun. I'd done it before, except that time was different. It was with one of my past failures, A stereotypical blonde. All I had had to do was nod at intervals while wishing I was somewhere else. Now, I had to be alert, constantly checking for threats, while they jumped about going crazy over some dress, I mean it was just a dress right?

I put the car into gear. They both climbed into the back, chatting away. I rolled my eyes to myself. Not following any of their conversation. Backing out of the car park, I heard the words “party” and “Epic” I had a feeling I wouldn't have fun at the big event.

***

“Oh, my god, it's so pretty!” Jessica squealed. I clutched my ears in mock agony, she didn't seem to notice, she was looking at Harper, eyes shining brightly. Harper was wearing a green dress, and it looked strange on her. She was no longer, the professional business woman, instead she looked capable of having fun. I rolled my eyes at them, leaning against the corner of the wall. Jessica grabbed a dress of the rack and ran into the changing rooms.

“I think I'm going to kill myself.” I told Harper, bored.

“You aren't enjoying this?” She asked, staring at her reflection in the mirror, adjusting her dress slightly. She smiled up at me from the mirror. I raised my eyebrows at her. “Good point” She laughed.

“Miss Harper?” Jessica called from the changing rooms. Her muffled voice coming through the thin walls. Harper turned away, walking into the changing rooms, her green dress swishing around her legs. I hoped I wouldn't have to wear a suit. I leaned back against the wall, staring up, thinking of all the things I could be doing at this point and time if I hadn't been here. Most of them involved weapons or combat. And all of them did not have Jessica included.

***

“And that was the last shop” Harper said cheerfully. I sent up a silent prayer of thanks. We had spent three hours doing nothing but try on clothes. Well, I hadn't they had, I had got to stand there half the time, falling asleep. As we walked towards the car park a familiar blonde head came into my line of sight.

“Joy” I said, mostly to myself. The crowds of people cleared slightly, allowing the girl from the morning Jessica had run off to spot me. I cursed the colourful shoppers for moving at that exact point.

“What?” Jessica asked, her eyes following my gaze, past the other shoppers and landed straight on the girl who was now coming towards us. “Shit”

“You kn-oh yeah” I said “You're her 'best friend' ” The girl was now close enough that I could see the mascara that had rubbed off on her eyelid and her orange make-up line was clearly visible in the bright fluorescent lights of the shopping centre.

“How do you know her” Jessica asked suspiciously, glancing up at me. I was quite pleased to say she looked jealous. She switched her bags to another hand, I saw the raw red lines where her heavy bags had dug into her skin. I probably should have offered to carry them.

“She happened to be there when I was looking for you, is she always so” I searched for the right explanation. “Full on?”

“Robyn? Oh yeah, defiantly, flirts with any guys she sees.” Jessica told me as Robyn came closer. Harper watched this awkwardness with amusement, silently excusing herself from the horrific scene that was bound to come.

“Oh, My God, Jessica. How are you?” Robyn squealed throwing her arms round Jessica. Jessica stood stiffly until Robyn had let go. She popped her chewing gum, which she was chewing like a cow chewed its cud.

“Great” Jessica said, sounding uneasy with fake happiness. She glanced up at me, trying to get me to excuse us. But Robyn turned on me.

“And how are you?” She asked flirtatiously “I'm guessing you found her” There was a certain cold hint to her voice when she mentioned Jessica, which I didn't like. She was too cocky for her own good, I decided to take her and her four inch heels that had her ankles slightly swollen down a level.

“I'm great, I found my girlfriend” I said, throwing my arm round Jessica shoulder. She looked up at me in surprise, which quickly turned to annoyance. I could feel her about to push me off, so I gripped her tighter.

“Girlfriend?” Robyn repeated, staring Jessica down. I clamped my hand on her arm.

“Ow” She muttered, before turning to Robyn again. “Yeah” She said through gritted teeth.

“Prove it” Robyn smirked.

“You, what?” I asked, blinking in surprise. I had not expected that. A glance at Jessica showed me that she too was shocked at the challenge.

“don't you dare” she mouthed at me, eyes turning hard.

“I said, Prove it. Kiss her.” Robyn looked extremely proud of her self, her non-existent eyebrows raised tauntingly.

I looked down at Jessica and before she could get out a word of protest, I leant down and kissed her.

The shock on Robyn's face was obvious as as my lips met Jessica's. They were soft from surprise. I placed my hand in the small of her back and pulled her closer to me. It only lasted a second, but I was sure she kissed me back.

“I said kiss, not snog” Robyn said, looking disgusted.

I let Jessica go.

Robyn scrunched her nose up “Well, then, I have to go, bye, Jessica” She said, in an almost sneer. I could see in her eyes that she was put out though, which meant I had achieved what I had wanted. I was worried how long I'd have to celebrate before Jessica murdered me for the little performance. I watched as Robyn stalked off, stumbling slightly in her shoes. A small ghost of a smile lingered on my face as I turned back to Jessica.

“Do that again, and I will bite you” She told me simply, running to catch up with Harper, who was waiting at the stairs.

I stood still for a minute, a real smile spreading across my face as I realised, she may have told me not to kiss her again, but she never said anything about not liking it.

I walked slowly down the stairs, the florescent lit car park came into view. I expected to see Harper and Jessica waiting by the car but there was no sign of them. The silence of the car park unnerved me and I felt myself reaching for my pistol. My hand wrapped itself around the handle.

“Carter!” I heard Jessica scream from behind a van about a hundred meters away from where I was standing. I pulled my gun out, sprinting towards the van. The sudden eerie silence made me more uneasy. Jessica was silent, and there had been no sign of Harper. While I sprinted I felt myself go free and let loose, I had always been a good sprinter and had competed before my family died. I had hardly run at all since then.

I skidded to a stop at the corner of the van, breathing hard I twisted round the side of it, holding my pistol at arms length. They weren't there.

“I told you he could have been an Olympic sprinter” I heard from behind me. I turned to see Harper with a grin that put the Cheshire cat to shame. Jessica was smirking, arms folded, proud that I had fallen for their trick. I lowered my gun slowly. Disbelief annoyance and relief all went through my head in a rapid surge of emotion.

“I can't believe it, you did all that, to see how fast I could run?”

“Actually, you were beginning to look fat, I decided a run would do you good” I stared at Jessica, narrowing my eyes, she stared coldly back, probably thinking of the kiss.. Harper noticed how close I looked to killing her.

“Come on, Let's go home” Harper said, pushing Jessica forward. Sighing, I followed, cursing myself for promising not to kill her.