Chapter Nine

Jessica

“Mum?” I asked. Carter looked up sharply, a look of shock etched in his face.

“Jessica, Honey, are you alright?” My mum asked me, soundings lightly worried.

“Yeah, mum, I'm fine, I'm at the boarding school” I told her, keeping to my cover story. “You aren't supposed to call me”

“I know honey, but last night was so strange and I was that tired I couldn't place the strangeness of it properly. I checked for the school's website, there wasn't one, Jessica, are you sure you're okay?”

Carter began making his was slowly towards me, holding his hand out for the phone. I shook my head it him. “Yeah, I swear I'm fine mum. Nothings wrong, I am completely and utterly f-Hey!” I shouted as Carter snatched my phone from my hands.

“Carter” I hissed. “What the hell are you doing?” He ignored me, holding a finger up to shush me.

“This is Mr Carter, I am the head of this school ” Carter told my mum. I heard a vague reply. “She is not supposed to have her phone on at all.”

I went to grab my phone back, Carter grinned at me, clearly enjoying this.

“Yes, Yes, I understand Mrs Black, I'll make sure to email you the information as soon as possible” Carter paused for a minute, listening to my mums reply. I lunged for my phone again, Carter sighed and put his hand on my forehead, holding me away at arms length. I scowled at him. “Yes, I do realise our time of collection was extremely inconvenient. But flight times do have a habit of changing suddenly, wouldn't you agree?”

I could almost see my mum, looking relieved that I hadn't in fact been kidnapped by complete lunatics, which, technically wasn't true.

“Okay, Thank you Mrs Black.” Carter hung up.

“I hate you” I told him, grabbing my phone back from his now open hand.

“I had wondered about that possibility. ” He said, waiting for my rant.

“Why wouldn't you let me talk to her?” I demanded, checking my phone for messages and missed calls; fourteen missed calls and sixteen messages, my mum had been worried.

“I was just following orders” He told me, taking out his phone from his back pocket. “I need to tell Harper about this”

He turned away. I hissed furiously to him. “You really are a perfect little soldier boy” I told him. He stopped suddenly, turning back to me. His mouth had set to a hard line and his deep, brown eyes glinted dangerously.

“What did you call me?” He asked threateningly. He took a step towards me.

“Exactly what you are.” I said to him, putting my phone back into my pocket.

“Don't ever call me that again” He said, a low threat running through his words.

“Or what” I challenged. Matching his tone perfectly.

“Or I might do something I'd regret later, killing you, for example, involves too much paperwork and a possible jail sentence.” He said. His phone vibrated and he picked it up. “Harper, Yeah, the mother phoned, You need to send appropriate paperwork as soon as. ” With a last angry glance in my direction he turned away. As he did I backed up, towards the front door. My back touched it's cool surface and I reached down for my boots. I slid the leather onto my feet. I watched Carter's back the entire time.

My hand made it's way towards the lock, I clicked it open silently I reached for the handle, turning it slowly. Carter was finishing his call. He turned back as he felt the cold air. I barely recognised the shock on his face as I bolted.

“Jessica!” I heard him shout behind me. I glanced back quickly. He was struggling to put his boots on. My feet pounded over the pavements. I knew there would be hell to pay when I got dragged back by Carter or someone else. For my sake I hoped it was someone else, because Carter was going to kill me for running off again.

The call from my mum had thrown me off balance. I ran past the usual drunks and creeps who were either swaggering about or passed out drunk on the pavement. I turned into a deserted alley way. I hit a small puddle, the sound of water splashing echoed thrown the deserted alley. I glanced behind me, half expecting to see Carter on my heels but the alley was empty. I turned and ran straight into someone.

“Oof” The guy said, winded. He had his hands on his knees, hiding his face and trying to catch the breath I had taken.

“Oh my god, I'm so sorry” I said, flustered.

“It's all right, I don't think anyone saw me being winded by a girl.” The guy shifted slightly. Hands still planted firmly on his knees.

“I have to go” I told him, turning away. He grabbed my wrist.

“You could at least stay while I recover from my horrible ordeal.” He straightened up grinning. “Hey, I'm Alex and I'm gonna pretend I didn't just get winded by a girl.” He said, rubbing his stomach slightly. I could feel myself blushing slightly. He was around my age, possibly older with rough blonde hair which was longish. His green eyes were laughing at me. Completely different than Carter's slick appearance and hard brown eyes.

“Jessica” I told him, knowing I was still blushing.

“Well, it was nice of you to bump into me, literally.” He grinned again and I smiled back. “So what are you doing around here? Anyone could be about”

“Running from someone.” I told him.

“I gathered that” He said. “Need any help with that?”

“No, I think I can manage” I smiled.

“Jessica!” My blood ran cold.

“I'm guessing you pissed him off? ” Alex asked, eyebrows raised.

“Evidently.” I said dryly.

“Well, I would love to see the happy reunion, but, What can I say? I'm a busy man. See ya around, Jessica”

He melted into the shadows in front of me.

“Jessica!” Carted shouted appearing beside me. “What did you think you were doing? The job you're doing makes you a bloody target, I can't protect you if you run off like that!”

“I never asked you to protect me” I told him, hoping to catch a last glance of Alex.

“Look, it's my job to protect you, as much as I hate it.” He said, frowning. “What are you looking at?”

“Nothing” I mumbled, turning away. Carter walked silently beside me the whole way back. I thought about Alex, hoping I'd meet him again. Carter hadn't tried to kill me yet, I decided I'd probably last the night.