47

Three days had swung by since the 'contract extension' event.

For the past three days, Lisa did not seem to be as close to Jennie anymore. She was like a wild horse that had broken free from its reins; it was as if the estate could not keep her in anymore.

She would get dressed and leave the estate after breakfast every morning, and then return very late at night.

Sometimes, she ate dinner outside too.

Ruby had inquired about this a few times, hence Jennie explained that Lisa had gotten to know some friends in the business circle during Victor's welcoming banquet.

They had clicked very well after chatting, hence they had promised to gather up again during the banquet. She had also agreed to it before.

Additionally, Lisa would always greet her whenever she left, so Ruby had no need to worry.

Whenever that happened, Ruby would sigh, then she nodded to express her understanding. She studied her daughter who seemed hesitant to speak.

That day, when Lisa forcefully interrupted Jennie, Jennie looked at Lisa for a long while, then she ultimately answered with one "Alright".

She did not bring that matter up again, but the two of them had obviously drifted apart that night.

What level of intellect did Jennie have?

Even if she had not realized it right away, she could still gather something from Lisa's abnormalities these days.

Jennie felt that Lisa might not have forgotten about the events of that night completely, but it was also possible that Lisa had not lied.

She had indeed forgotten what happened when she was drunk, but for some reason, she had seen through her 'lie'.

It would be fine if it was the former, but if it was the latter...

Jennie's heart sank.

Wouldn't that mean that Lisa had no plans to extend the contract with her at all?

She had already decided to leave the estate absolutely once the time limit ends, so that's why she could be so sure that she would never say such words even if she had gotten majorly drunk?

Jennie sighed quietly, somewhat lost in thought.

"Jennie."

Jennie put down her chopsticks, then she straightened her back, "Yes, mother."

"It's been a while since you've married Lisa, right?"

"Yes mother."

Ruby thought for a moment, then she said, "Although it hasn't been long, it hasn't been short either. You have always slept in the same room, do you... have any good news?"

Jennie opened her mouth a little, but she heard her father clear his throat before she could say anything.

He grunted, "Silence at the dining table!"

Ruby shot a look at Eddard, then she grumbled, "Lisa isn't here anyways, it's just us three in the dining hall. Even the servant girls are outside, does it matter if I say a thing or two to my daughter? And besides, Jennie has married a lot later than average women. At her age, the other women are already mothers of a few children!"

Eddard did not respond to Ruby, and he did not put on the airs of the head of the family again. 

Though, Ruby did not speak again once she was done complaining.

It was utterly quiet inside the dining hall. 

There weren't even any sounds of utensils knocking against bowls.