8

JENNIE

I finally returned after a day's work.

I had a bath attended by the servant girl, which dispelled some of my fatigue.

I came to my bookshelf out of habit, then I pulled out the book that I had not finished yesterday night. I picked up the round scissors on the table to trim the candle's wick, then I started to read.

However, my vision blurred suddenly in just two pages. 

I closed my eyes and supported my forehead in a hurry.

I felt as if I was standing on a boat, and turbulent waves were rocking the boat continuously.

I hadn't noticed the bedroom door being opened.

A servant girl came to my side in quick and dainty steps, gave her salutations, then she said quietly, "My lady, a letter has come from the Capital."

She took out an envelope from her chest as she spoke, then she presented it to me with both hands.

I opened my eyes once the dizzy spell passed over me. 

I had always been the enduring type; even if I fell sick once in a while, I would never say it until it became unbearable.

I had this habit ever since I was old enough to understand things.  

Our family's three generations worth of prosperity now rested on my shoulders alone. I was responsible for the rise and fall of the entire family's business.

I might be somewhat tired from receiving the various managers of the city recently and inspecting all of the local shops today.

I took my hand away from my forehead at the sound of Alison's voice.

I received the envelope to see large and confident handwriting again

To young lady Stark.

The envelope seal was untouched too.  

I tore the envelope to take out its letter. 

I swept my gaze line by line, then I fell silent again.

I folded the paper properly, but I did not put it inside a wooden case like I usually did. 

I simply placed it on the table as I stared at the candle light in a trance.

This letter was sent by Victor, of course. 

He said that he had lived up to expectations by succeeding in the spring capital exam, and he will participate in the final palace exam very soon. 

He will strive to put his name on the golden board, and he hopes to return as soon as possible, to fulfil his promise.

I was silent for a long while, then I asked quietly, "Alison, what is today's date?"

She chuckled behind her fingers, then she answered, "Is the lady confused from overwork? This is our scheduled inspection day, the fifteenth day of the month."

"Oh. The fifth month, right?"

"Yes."

I sighed almost inaudibly, then I muttered, "That's right, the spring exam starts in the fourth month. It's about time now..."

Alison walked around me to fill my cup with hot tea, "My lady, has young master Lannister said anything in his letter? Is it good news?"

"Mm. He said that he had scored in the top sixty places, and he will participate in the palace exam very soon."