Chapter 1

"This aint Jedi territory, kid."

Almost made it. Only two more streets.

"You never learn, do you?"

The gang fans out across the alley. Four Sith. If I were a real Jedi, I'd probably be up for a fight. Most of the Jedi I know are crazy AF.

But I don't have any powers. I can't even light a candle with my thoughts. Like most people, The Force doesn't notice I'm around.

The bad news is, nobody cares that I'm Force-free. With two Jedi parents, I'm a Jed, and fair game.

Should I run? Last time I did, they broke a finger for fun. Turns out, jogging makes the Sith angry.

Not that these idiots are real Sith. Third gen shadows, at best. If they had true power, they wouldn't be in a second-rate city, hassling an unarmed, scrawny Jed teen like me.

For the first time, I wish I had a lightsaber. Although without The Force, it's hard to control. I end looking like a kid at a party trying to hit a pinata.

"Go home."

Glancing around, I don't see the guy leaning against the wall until he steps forward, stinking of scotch. Must have came out of the nearby bar. Why was he in a bar for normals, in Sith territory? Weird. He's no Sith—not with the way the Force is crawling all over him.

Epic Jedi vibe.

The Sith crew notice at the same time, and take a step back. They'd probably run if their leader wasn't such a dick. I still remember his crazy laugh when he stepped on my hand. Always looking for trouble.

"Make me," he sneers at the Jedi.

"Not you." The Jedi guy's smile is not friendly. "Go home, boy."

His gaze locks with mine. He's telling me to leave-

-So I won't be a witness.

He looks like a model, tall and fit in ripped jeans and a dark red leather jacket. Pretty, except for those spooky grey eyes.

"I'm gonna keep that jacket," laughs the Sith dude. "I like red."

"Yeah, nice shade," says the Jedi. "I dyed it with Sith blood."

The mood changes. Time to split. Turning, I figure I only need to double back a little. At this time of night, the bridge should be safe to cross.

Who cares if he kills the Sith jerks? They deserve it.

Not my fault. Not my scene.

I turn back around with a sigh. Can't do it. Mom would be mad if a Jedi kills Sith to save me. She hates owing favors.

The Sith leader is turning grey from suffocation. Wow. Guess he couldn't even draw his saber. Red Jacket Guy clenches his fist, and laughs, the sound deep, throaty, and not quite sane.

In the flashing neon light from the bar, he's got that low key crazy but sexy Jedi thing goin' on.

Using a Sith move, and not wearing a lightsaber. Who is this guy?

Right now he seems high on The Force. A chill runs down my spine. How much has he had to drink? What if he can't stop? Lotta norms around here.

"Hey," I yell, hoping I don't make him mad. "Are you hungry? I know somewhere with great noodles, just across the bridge. My shout."

He glances over, head tilting to the side, eyes roaming my face. I don't know what he sees there, but he suddenly drops the Sith leader, who falls to the ground like a broken doll.

"We're not goin' round, kid."

The stranger grabs my hand, and I feel The Force shimmer across my skin, unable to connect, like always. The Jedi's gaze narrows, and then he drags me forward.

The other Sith back up against the wall, eyes wide. I would too. The only sound as we pass is our footsteps.

Once we reach the other end of the alley, the Jedi says, "Which way?"

He's really not from around here. Shaking off his grasp, I take the lead.

The stranger doesn't speak as we weave through back streets. Hardly anyone is out this late (or early?) and those that are take one look at him, and bail.

When we cross into Jedi territory, I stop under a streetlight. The guy's not as old as I thought. Early twenties, maybe. His face is striking, all sharp cheekbones and beautiful skin. Something about him reminds me of a wolf.

"Thanks, but you didn't need to do that."

"They called you a Jed, but why can't I feel The Force?" Stepping closer, he runs a hand through the air around me. "Not like a norm either."

"Jedi parents, no powers. Mystery of the universe." My voice catches. I try to make it sound like no big deal, but it never works. "You wanna eat, or what?"

The slight smile transforms his face. He must pull a lot, with those looks. "I'm starving."

"Jim's has the best noodles in town, and he's open all night. Well, at night his son works but he's also called Jim, so we just call him Junior." Why am I talking so much? I pick up the pace, cheeks burning. How embarrassing, acting like a star-struck fan.

"How long have you lived in this city, kid?"

"Always." If he's just arrived, I can show him around. Maybe convince him not to tell any of the Jedi's where we met. "Think of me as your new friend who knows everyone."

"So why were you in Sith territory?"

"Why were you?" When he keeps staring, I add, "Hey, it's not like we're best friends."

There's that smile again. "How old are you?"

"Seventeen."

And there it is, the surprised look. I'm stuck with a young face that makes everyone mistake me for a middle schooler, and no power. What a combo. Thanks, universe.

The city is waking up as we get closer to Jim's. I wave at a few of the old timers outside, but none of the Jedi's wave back. What's with that?

Inside, the small place is packed as usual, and smells like soy. Mostly low grade Jedis hang out here after working late shift. The buzz of conversation stops. WTH?

...They're staring at the stranger.

Opening my mouth to ask the newcomer what's the big deal, I stop when Junior appears beside me. Out from behind the counter? Is the world ending? Face pale under the cap, he pats my shoulder.

"Are you okay?" Before I can answer, he bows to the stranger. "If the boy upset you, apologies, enforcer."

My stomach drops. Did I hear right? A real-life enforcer?! Here, in our city? My heart starts pounding, and I wipe suddenly sweaty hands on my jeans. I'm so grounded.

That smile is back. Well, more of a smirk this time. "He promised to buy me a bowl of noodles," says the enforcer, "unless, you've changed your mind, kid?"

Every eye in the place lands on me. Lifting my chin, I glare at the Jedi. "I told you I'm not a kid." Does he think I'm going to run? Rage bubbles. The Force might hate me, but I'm not a coward. "We're friends, remember. The meal is on me. Don't eat a lot though."

Junior sucks in a shocked breath, and the enforcer surprises me with a laugh.

The way he's staring, as if I'm a puzzle he wants to solve...

Something tells me that's not a good sign.