Chapter 21: Game Night/ Katagiri Kotonoha

Start from the beginning

It made him and I more alike than I thought.

But, right now, he just seemed to want to live a normal high school life. Playing a simple game with friends. I had absolutely no rejection of that.

This ping pong game would be nostalgic for me, but that was for a reason he didn't know yet.

Chiaki decided to serve the ball. It came blazing towards Horikita.
She made her best attempt to hit it back, but I resulted in it going off the table towards Katagiri.
He saved it, and sent it flying back.

It went towards me, so I sent it back with a spin.
Chiaki didn't flinch though, and saw exactly where the ball was going.
She has clearly played this game before.

She made a rather bad pass back though, and it went over Horikita's head.
Horikita slightly hit it with her paddle before it went off the table, resulting in their point.

We had decided to play until someone hit  5 points.
It was now 1-0.
(I do not remember all of the rules of ping pong so bear with me. I think you are supposed to play until someone hits 21 points, but that would be a 10,000 word chapter with nothing but ping pong.)

Horikita made a fly ball serve, giving Chiaki that opportunity for a well placed hit.
"Here we go!"

She sent it flying towards me, I hit it as hard as I could on their side, causing it to fly in the air.

It would have gone over Chiaki, but Yuuichi was tall enough to hit back down.
It barely didn't make it over the net.
1-1

"Was that serve on purpose Horikita?"

Chiaki was asking if Horikita has purposely set them up for that hit.
"Hmm...maybe."

She looked to  Yuuichi as she said that, to provoke him, because that is always his response to her.
He ignored her, and set up a serve.

Horikita at least looked like she was interested in the game. I couldn't tell if she was having fun, but at least she had decided to play.

Katagiri made a regular paced serve to me, so I hit it back with little force.
Chiaki spiked it in the middle of both of us.

We both went for it, causing our rackets to hit together, and the ball went no where.
2-1

"Let's call it out if we are going to hit it."

I made a simple suggestion that Horikita nodded to.

I decided to test something out, and I hit the ball with a big spin.
But the force was to strong, so after hitting their side of the table, it recoiled back over to us with out them even hitting it.
3-1

"What were you even trying to do?"
"I just wanted to test something."

I would have to be careful and not put all of my strength into the ball, or it may go right over the table.
Horikita served it, and Yuuichi hit it back in the middle of us once again.
"I-"
"I got it."

I cut Horikita off to test something else.
I hit the ball back with even more force than I had before, but I spiked it so it would not fly in the air.
The ball flew past Chiaki, almost causing her hair to go up a little. She didn't even have an opportunity to flinch for it.
3-2

"J-jeez Ayanokoji."
Chiaki seemed slightly bewildered.
Yuuichi seemed unsurprised.

I found Horikita staring at me.
"What?"

"Why didn't you do that before?"

I shrugged.
"Hurts my arm."

She didn't seem to believe me, but she didn't have more time to think.
Yuuichi hit the ball barely, so it went over our net the slightest amount, causing us both to go for it.
Horikita hit the ball, after leaning over the entire table.