Chapter 11: 𝒢𝑒𝓉 𝒾𝓃 ℒ𝑜𝓈𝑒𝓇, 𝒲𝑒'𝓇𝑒 𝒢𝑜𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒮𝒽𝑜𝓅𝓅𝒾𝓃𝑔

The next morning Evelyn sat in her chair in Crowley's newfound office, the demon working away on some of hell's more tame and rather boring paperwork. Stuff he could do by himself from the comfort of the mansion, Evelyn right by his side, who was reading a rather steamy romance book.

It'd been an overwhelming surprise when she'd found Crowley sitting at the dining table that morning, flipping through seemingly endless stacks of paper. He had asked her--her if it would be okay if he used the office space again. Evelyn of course had over-boardly told him yes, which had pulled a chuckle from Crowley that lit Evelyn's insides up.

Evelyn flipped a page, eyes glancing up to Crowley, who was resting his head in his hand, already looking her way. "What are you reading there, pet? You're all giggly." Evelyn's face flushed brightly as she held the book close to her chest.

"Just a story."

"Just a story..." He mused, watching her carefully as she nodded her head. "Alright." In the blink of an eye, Crowley was snapping his fingers and the book had appeared in his hands. Evelyn gave a squawking sort of sound as she hopped out of her chair, all but launching herself at Crowley as he began to skim over the page she was on.

"It's just a book!" She said, trying to keep him from reading the page as she grabbed at the thing. Crowley dogged her attempt, pulling the thing just out of her reach.

"Oh my--just a book? Little lamb this is what you're reading?" He chuckled, finally allowing her to grab the book, pulling it tight to her chest.

"It's romance."

"I can see that." Evelyn huffed, going to move away from the demon, but his hands come and grabbed her hips, holding her there. Evelyn found then that during her fight for her book, very close to him--ended up all but straddling Crowley's leg.

Her heart was going to burst out of her chest. She really, truly could have died then.

"Uh--um--Crowley..." She breathed out, hardly able to speak any sort of sound--think any kind of thought other than 'holy shit she was practically sitting in Crowley's lap!'.

Crowley's grip on her hips tightened, tugging just hard enough to have her sit fully in his lap, making her heart beat harder in her chest, her eyes wider than saucers. "Yes, pet?" Crowley all but purred, leaning in closer to her. So close that if she wasn't such a coward, a slight tilt of the head would have had their lips brushing against the others.

She couldn't think, couldn't breathe, couldn't move. Oh god, she was going to faint.

Crowley chuckled, leaning back a little to give her room to breathe again. Not that she necessarily wanted him to move away. No, she wanted him close. She wished to feel every inch of his body against hers--but again, she was more thinking than doing.

"I got you something," Crowley said, splitting the fog in Evelyn's brain the tiniest bit. "It's not demons this time I'm afraid."

"Oh, whatever will I do?" She joked, her voice coming out more wavy than she had wished, but Crowley didn't seem to notice. Or he did notice and he was being kind enough not to mention it.

She watched Crowley dig into the pocket of his jacket and pulled out a thin velvet box. He held it out for her to take, which she did slowly. "What is it?" She asked, hesitating to open the box.

Evelyn could hardly gasp at what she found in the velvet box--could hardly see what was before her eyes. Laying in the box was a diamond necklace, its design a swirling, almost flower-like shape that came down in a soft v shape. A matching earring set sat in the center of the box. Evelyn looked back up, finding Crowley watching her, watching for her reaction.