Chapter 3: 𝒟𝑒𝒶𝓁 𝓌𝒾𝓉𝒽 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒟𝑒𝓋𝒾𝓁

"Hi," Evelyn said with what felt like her last breath. The man gave a smirk, his eyes looking her over. Her stomach gave a fluttering twist.

"You can't have the dodecahedron, Crowley. That's too much power for one person to have." The tallest spoke, both men getting ready for a fight.

"You wouldn't know too much power if it hit you from all the way up there, Moose. And last time I checked, the Curse of Lucifer is the property of hell. A.K.A me." Evelyn liked to think she was okay at picking up on context clues. In this case, she knew instantly this man was a demon. A very well-dressed, well-kept demon, but a demon nonetheless.

"We're not--" Before the shortest could finish his thought, the demon flung a hand lazily, sending the two-man flying backward into the wall. They gave pained, whined sounds, seemingly glued to the wall and shelf.

The demon--Crowley, turned his full attention onto Evelyn. Attention full of power and danger. This must be hell's big guns. A demon more powerful and more capable of killing Evelyn than the ones now fried onto the wall next to him.

"Let's make this quick, lamb. Give me the Curse and I'll leave you and your aunt's business alone." God, he knew who she was. Her aunt was going to have to move now. Not after five demons were killed in her shop. Not after hell knew where her base of operations was.

But Evelyn couldn't think about any of that now. Not when death was staring her down.

She needed to survive. Just survive. Evelyn wanted to live. To never end.

"Crowley--live the girl alone!" The shortest of the men shouted, the sound of glass jars clicking together from his struggle sounding in her ears.

Evelyn took a step forward, her happy persona plastered back into her face.

Evelyn was going to do her job.

"How much?" She asked sweetly. Crowley seemed the slightest bit confused--maybe even a little taken aback. Like he hadn't expected the question.

"Excuse me?"

"All this mess was because your coworkers couldn't see how good of a deal was right in front of their faces." The demon took a step closer, excitement on his smirking lips.

"And what deal might that have been?"

"The Blessing--or Curse, for a price. We are, after all, trying to keep a business afloat." Crowley nodded, his deep hazel eyes never leaving Evelyn.

"I'll bite. How much?" Evelyn didn't think she would get this far. That this demon would actually be willing to buy the thing.

Evelyn kept her calm composure. What would she do when she sold the dodecahedron but couldn't actually give it to the demon? What would happen when he figured out it was inside of her? He would tear it from her chest. He would kill her.

Survive. She needed to survive. She wouldn't die here. She wouldn't die today.

"Let me think...The dodecahedron is very old and it wasn't easy to come by--it is one of a kind. And your King must want it horribly if he went through all this trouble to get it so...two-hundred billion will do, and enough to cover the damages done to Miss. Marwood's place of business...and an extra thousand for the awful fright all these demons have given me." The demon gave a smirk.

"Deal," Crowley said, hardly skipping a beat.

"Evelyn, don't!" The shortest man shouted, his struggle becoming more audible. Crowley gave a deep sigh, looking towards the ruckus.