Just a Little Bit Longer

Start from the beginning

Jean was worried that Connie might lash out, or just lose himself. But he didn't. He was kind to Niccolo, understanding his pain and sorrow. Thanking him for all the food he cooked for her. When Niccolo asked how Connie was doing, Jean braced for the confession. But Connie held strong. "We were like twins...." Jean had crinkled his eyebrow. But his heart sank when he said "it's like a half of me is gone". In away Connie was expressing his pain of losing his love, and sparing the feelings of an already grieving man.

As they were walking back. Jean had questioned him. Connie said it didn't seem to matter now what Niccolo's feelings were, and that it was cruel to kick a man while he was down.

Now Jean sat alone in his room, tired but unable to sleep. The meeting between Armin, Mikasa, Connie and him had been tense.

He opened up his sketch book and started to draw. He was working on a sketch of when the 3 had discovered the sea. A memory that warmed his heart.

He was working on the ripples in the water when he heard some stumbling around, the sound of a bottle breaking. He ignored it. Probably some scouts goofing off.

About an hour later, around midnight. Armin burst into the room.

"Jean!! Connie's missing!"

"What?"

"I went by his room to check on him and he was gone, he's not anywhere in the building....you don't think he went to the prison do you, either to kill that girl or kill Eren??"

Jean was already in the process of putting his shoes on. "No Connie's not that dumb to take on Eren, and I can't see him killing a kid"

"Even if the kid killed Sasha?" Armin questioned.

"Look you go check the prison, send an MP to check Eren's cell. You check the kids" Jean said.

"Where are you going?

"To the cemetery" Jean said.

*****************************

It was about a 20 minute from town to the military cemetery.

He carried a flashlight with him, begin careful
to stay on the path.

As he got further into the cemetery. He heard sniffles and sobs. Jean's hunch had been right.

Jean slowly approached Sasha's grave. Next to it, Connie sat next to it, he head leaned against the tomb stone. He had a bottle of whiskey in his hand.

"Connie, it's me Jean" he called out softly.

Connie looked up into the light of the flashlight. His eyes were puffy & red. Tears were flowing, his face flushed.

"Wanna drink?" He said slurring his words a bit.

He sat down next to his friend, putting an arm around his shoulder. The smell of alcohol was strong.

"Why her? Why did it have to be her?" He sobbed.

"It should have been me or that dick Floch, Sasha was so kind, and so amazing" Connie continued.

"Well if it had been you, I would be sitting her with Sasha, as for Floch, well I can't say" Jean said.

"I just want her back, Sasha please come back please!!!! I can't do this without you, I love you", Connie cried out into the night sky.

Jean felt the tears in his own eyes. "I shouldn't have let me guard down until we were out of Libero."

"We had plans Jean, house in the woods, Sasha could hunt all the meat she wanted, she would have looked so beautiful in a white dress"

Jean was flashing back to Marco. Their plans to join the MPs together live a good life.

"My soulmate is gone Jean, I've truly lost a half of me. I don't think I'll ever be ok"

Connie leaned against the head stone and continued to cry. Jean just sat in silence, as quiet tears streamed down his face.

The two sat their for a while, with Connie's cries being the only thing break the silence of the night.

Jean looked at his watch. It was 2:00 in the morning.

"Connie, it's time to go". He said quietly.

"No"

"Connie you need sleep"

"Please Jean, just a little bit longer please", Connie begged.

Jean let out a sigh.

"Yeah we can stay just a bit longer"

**************************

Finally getting Connie in bed and asleep. Jean stopped by Armin's room to let him know he had found Connie. Armin reported that the kids and Eren were unharmed.

He head to the kitchen to get a drink of water, but stopped seeing the Captain sitting at a table alone, holding Sasha's scouting badge stitching her name on the back, drinking tea.

Jean knew everyone was feeling the aftermath of Sasha's death.

Jean climbed into bed and stared at the feeling.

"Sasha, Marco I just wish you guys could have stayed for just a little bit longer"