**You Remind Me**9

I hope he'll be ok.

I couldn't work with Key Key. Doing that would have violated the plan. When I decided to leave him, I didn't think he'd end up Ambrose. Now he'll probably think I wanted him to fail. None of this would have happened if I stayed over there...

No. Keith is old enough to take care of himself. I don't need to be his partner every time. It's not like I'm his or anything. If he does blame me for this then it's his fault. I'm not his property dammit.

Next to me, Jennifer twirled a strand of her blonde hair smiling at me. I smiled back as best I could. What was her deal? All this smiling.

"Suuuu, uhm. I think our project should be a survey on what types of lip gloss people prefer. Likkeee, flavored or shiny." she said dumbly in an exaggerated voice.

"Yeah but, shouldn't our survey be about something not as biased? Only girls would be able to answer that one."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, boys don't wear makeup."

"But  ...you wear makeup..."

* * *

[Keith]

Four days. We have four school days to complete this project. I have four days stuck with Walker. God, where the hell you go?

My mom finally gave me my stuff back— that was one good thing today. I was setting up my play stations when I got a text. I almost broke my neck trying to pick up the phone. It wasn't who I wanted it to be.

Darren

I know you dnt have your fone but the movie is done except for that other scene so if u got this message text back b4 i call the house fone

What a waste of energy.

I didn't text him back because I knew he wouldn't call the house anyway. He didn't know the number. Throwing my phone back onto the bed, I went back to the task at hand.

The notifications went off again. This time I took my slow time getting off the floor and to my bed . Odds were, it wasn't who I wanted it to be. When I looked at the screen, I wanted to scream.

It was Ambrose. We had to exchange numbers in class today so that I could make sure he was doing his half of the work. And now he was texting me saying he didn't plan on doing anything and I should just delete his number. Lord, could you just whip him a case of HIV so he could be excused from working with me? Just a small case that goes away with in next week?

I texted back:

No, you are.