chapter sixty one

Start from the beginning

"I missed this", Jisung mumbles.

"Well, now you don't have to."

Jaemin links arms with Jisung and leads him into the store. Jisung stays right by Jaemins side as they push the cart, mostly Jaemin controlling it.

"Everything smells so good", Jisung says when they get to the candle aisle.

"It does. Which scents should I get? Oh, I'll probably get hungry." Jaemin gasps. "We have to bake!"

"Specify this 'we' you speak of."

"You and me today and then all of us next time." Jisung nods. Jaemin wanders a few steps away, looking a bit farther down. "Speaking of next times", Jaemin speaks up, remembering something. "I wonder when Mark and Haechan are going on their next date."

"And when will you and Jeno go on your first?"

Jaemin can feel the eyes on him before he looks at his best friend and sees the curious look on his face. Jisung never ever pushes him to say anything he doesn't want to but this is one of those times where he just looks like his best friend who wants to know the details.

"I don't know", Jaemin admits quietly. "I don't know what to do or how to...with him, I'm scared."

Jisung's eyebrows pinch together, showing his confusion. "Why?" Jisung sets a candle down in the cart and goes back to looking over everything to not stare at the boy.

"He's getting to know all of me. But I know it doesn't completely make sense. For some reason, I don't care what I say or do around him. Which might be me trying to just throw every reason to not like me at him but then he constantly sees me be...strange."

"What makes you think he won't like you if he knows you?"

Jaemin goes silent, trying to figure out what it is that he wants to say. But then he shakes his head. "I'll tell you later."

Jisung nods and quickly scans the aisle for something to switch their attention. He gasps when he finds a cute, whit ceramic pumpkin with an orange pattern all around it.

"Look how pretty!" He exclaims, showing Jaemin with wide, excited eyes, looking extremely adorable.

"You're so cute Jisung."

The suddenly compliment sends heat to the boys cheek, causing him to look away from his friend as he clears his throat. "Thank you."

Jaemin laughs. The situation only gets funnier when he pretends he's going to hit Jisung with the cart, startling him.

"Come on, let's get everything and then let's go because I want hot chocolate, cookies, and affection."

Only because he has a goal in mind does Jaemin actually make sure they don't spend too long in the store while allowing themselves to enjoy every seasonal item they come across.

As soon as they get near the registers, Jaemin makes a beeline for the self-checkout, almost bumping into someone's cart in the process.

"I'm sorry", he apologizes nervously.

The guy just stares at him and continues past him once Jaemin's out of the way, not making the boy feel any better.

"Ignore that", Jisung tells him.

"I'm trying", Jaemin mutters.

Jaemin and Jisung argue about who's going to back but Jisung manages to hold his best friend back as he inserts his credit card, making Jaemin pout.

Jisung kisses his cheek as a peace offering. Jaemin still pretends to be annoyed but the hint of a smile on his face let's Jisung know the kiss worked.