Her body tensed up as she stared at him.

"What is it?" He didn't even look at her as he said, "what is what, Mrs. Maryam?" She felt as though she had been shot by an arrow in the heart. "You...what is wrong with you? Why are you behaving like this?"

"Mrs. Maryam, if there's nothing wrong with you, will you kindly step out for other serious patients who are actually here to see a doctor, see a doctor." If her eyes were lasers, he'll have melted into a puddle of lava at that moment. "Like hell, if I'll leave this room if you don't talk to me." He slowly raised his eyes and glared at her.

"Why didn't you come home last night when you were supposed to? And why didn't you call me at all?"
"I was busy." He said coolly.
"Busy? Is this your first time spending the night at the hospital? No. However, this is the first time you were too busy to pick up your damn phone and call your wife, to let her know that you won't be coming home, that she shouldn't wait up for you and to just retire for the night." She was spitting fire. Muhammad on the other hand just stared at her. "So don't you dare bring that up now, because it is not an option."

They stared at each for a long time before Muhammad opened his mouth and said, "if you're done, you can leave. I have a lot of patients to see."

Maryam closed her eyes and let out a shaky breath, "I guess you didn't quite get what I said. If you think for a moment that I'm going to set a foot out of this door without you speaking to me, then I'm sorry to say that you are terribly mistaken."

He cocked his brows as if saying, "oh really?"
"Yes."
She stared at him, hoping he'll say something. But surprise surprise he didn't do or say a thing other than stare at her. She closed her hands in a fist and bit her lips. "Please just say something, will you?" She begged in such a low tone that she didn't realize she was capable of it until now. She reached for his hand and clasped it in hers. "Please you're hurting me, you're hurting us."

He gently pulled his hands from her grasp and turned his gaze to the clock ticking on the wall. "You should just leave."
Maryam's breath hitched. " We'll be spending the night here I guess, let me make myself comfortable." She said once she had regained her composure. She removed her shoes and kept her bag on his table. He glared at her. But then he knew that she will do as she said. She is that stubborn.

They stayed in silence for a couple of minutes. The silence was too much for Maryam. This was all too painful. Why wouldn't he say something? Why wasn't he bringing what he heard up?

"...why did you do it?" Muhammad whispered. She almost didn't hear him. She wouldn't have if she wasn't so desperately waiting for him to speak. She slowly turned her eyes to meet his. "Why did I do what?"
"You know exactly what I am talking about. Why did you ask me to marry you?" He didn't wait for her answer. "Was it out of pity?"
"Pity?" Maryam slowly rose from the chair. "What else then? I spent all night yesterday thinking about this, trying to come up with other excuses as to why you wanted to marry me but came up with nothing." He stared at her. "You sacrificed yourself for me."

She shook her head and went around the table to him. "Please don't say that ya Muhammad. I swear it's not like that."

He gave a low chuckle. "What is it like then? Huh, tell me. Did you or did you not know about it when you asked me to marry you?"
"I...I did but..."
"But what Maryam? Ok, tell me something, have you ever loved me, or was it all out of your generosity?" He whispered his voice cracking with unshed tears. Maryam couldn't make out a word. She was just busy shaking her head, tears brimming down her face.

"You know what the worst part is in all this? I can't even get angry at you, because you did absolutely nothing wrong. You just wanted to help." He extended his hand and stroked her cheeks, wiping the tears away. Just when Maryam was leaning into his touch, he pulled away.

"I swear if I had known you asked to marry me because of that, as much as I love you I wouldn't have agreed." He said and the room went silent. Even Maryam's cries stopped completely. She was staring at him wide-eyed.

"What did you say?" She croaked out.
"If I had known, I would never have put you through this...Maryam, I...I used you." His eyes were filled with tears as he came to that conclusion.

She pulled him up to stand before her and took hold of his hands. "What are you saying? Stop, stop and stop! How could even you think for a moment that I married you just because of your illness ya Muhammad? How?" She lightly shook him. "I mean, I don't know how kind you must think I am but I'll never...ever just marry anyone to save them. I mean everyone is sick one way or the other, does that mean I'll go around marrying everyone just to save them?" She held his face in her hand and pulled him closer.
"Well, if you put it like that..."
"You think if it was Abdallah or Mahmoud who had this same condition as you, I'll marry them?" She rasped.
"I don't know, will you?"
"Of course not, I would never. I'll just pray for them and wish them a quick recovery. Maybe even try to find the right one for them,"

"Don't you get it ya Muhammad? I married you because I love you and I didn't want to lose you. Not to anyone or some illness. I knew that if I didn't marry you, someone else will and I didn't want that. If anything I used you." She whispered the last part, wrapping her hand around his waist.

"I loved you, I love you and I will love you today, tomorrow, and forever Insha Allah. I'll do anything for you as long as it doesn't go beyond the boundaries of our religion. I chose you ya Muhammad, so please don't make me start questioning my choice."

"I'm sorry for thinking so highly of you." He whispered and wrapped his arms around her too, and for the first time since yesterday, he relaxed. "I just... I love you, and I don't like the thought of... you know." Maryam chuckled, "I know."

"It feels so good to be back in your arms," Maryam whispered. "Where you belong," Muhammad added. "You also belong in my arms, just so you know."
"Oh, I know, you've made that quite clear." He pressed a kiss on her forehead.

"Thank you for coming." He whispered in her ears. "Thank you for having me."

~~**~~
About an hour or two later, Doctor Yasir came and took over Muhammad's shift, and Muhammad and Maryam came out, hand in hand.

"Darling," Maryam called. "Uhmm,"
"Can you introduce us?" She asked motioning at the receptionist. Muhammad looked at her puzzled as to why she wanted to be introduced but did it anyways. Maryam looked at the receptionist and smiled.

"Afternoon, Jade."
"Good Afternoon, doctor Muhammad." She smiled. They exchanged pleasantries, then he looked at Maryam and said, "Maryam, this is Jade, and Jade, this is my wife, Maryam." Maryam looked at her in a way, saying, "see, I told you. I am his wife."

Jade smiled at her, "and I didn't argue madam. Nice to meet you."
"I wish I could say the same to you," Maryam muttered under her breath but said, "nice to meet you too. Let's go, Darling."

He smiled at Jade then let him be pulled away by Maryam outside. Jade followed them with her eyes and shook her head, smiling.

"What was that all about?" Muhammad asked Maryam as soon as they were outside. Maryam shrugged. "Nothing."

"Let's go now. By the way, you'll pay me back for the consultation fee I had to pay to see you." She said.

Muhammad shook his head and laughed.

M~~~***~~~M
And finally guys, we are done!🎉❤️❤️
I am most delighted to announce that this book has come to an end. I had so much fun writing this. And I hope you had as much fun reading it💐

I love you guys so much❤️

With love, Fatima🥀

Kindred Ties जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें