- CHAPTER 5 -

Yua looks into the mirror and carefully angles the lash wand on her eyelashes.

She was naturally born with a fair face. Her features are harmoniously arranged with doe eyes, straight nose, and fair plump lips. At a glance, she gives off a charming and lovable image.

As an Itthiwatkam, her mother does not approve.

Ananya has taught her since a young age, as someone worthy of her lineage, she must look dignified and graceful.

Charming and lovely? That's for the tasteless commoner.

Remember this, Yua. I can teach you the ways of a noble, but it is up to you to ingrain it in your bones.

So, Yua had learnt.

To present herself without flaws.

Any defect she identified, she immediately set out to ruthlessly correcting it.

At a young age, she carefully analysed her face, picking and choosing how to best represent each element. She realised she had short eyelashes, so she carefully invested on an expensive serum: therefore, the end results would give her natural long lashes.

She would not put on fake eyelashes like the crude public.

People need to envy her because everything came effortlessly for her.

They need to envy her effortless status, her lineage, her wealth, her beauty.

"Nong Yua. I would rather be an envious man."

The lash wand in her hand stops mid-way at the memory.

"How foolishly naïve."

Just then, someone enters her room. 

"Talking to yourself? Have you gone crazy already?"

Yua turns around to look at the intruder.

"I didn't give you permission to come in."

"Come on, P'. It's not like I'm a stranger. We're practically sisters."

The intruder is none other than War, Uncle Wat's only child. Her voice is unnecessarily sweet, but it sounds like nails on chalkboard.

Ever since Yua came back to Thailand, her relatives have shown nothing but friendly hospitality. However, their air of subtle hostility isn't amiss on Yua.

For example, her aunt Emon gifted her a very lavish necklace to welcome her return. Sure, its price was generous, and if Yua wasn't as learnt, she might have appreciated its value.

But the necklace in question was a tacky gold chain. With its thick band and outdated design, it looked like something even a village chief from the rural area would look down upon.

Or that time when War's friends were curious about Yua and wanted to invite her to a party at one of Bangkok's famous nightclubs, and Yua overheard her saying "My cousin only dated foreigners when was aboard. She cannot speak Thai. You'll be bored."

Yua can always detect resentment from Uncle Wat and his family.

She asked her mother about this on her first week back.

Her mother's response went something like this.

"Wat?"

"Ignore him. He's just a wet rat. He's ugly to look at, but he's only bark and no bite."