- CHAPTER 4 -

The library is one of Yua's favourite places.

They are all different, in their own way.

Nevertheless, each one of them always give her a sense of calm; its erudite atmosphere and the scent of books linger in the air, the weight of texts and grainy textures of the hardcovers is a tactile reassurance to her physical being.

Yua's fingers trace the detailed exterior of the heavy tome, her fingers softly dig into the embossed grooves. Her actions are mindless as she carefully scans the page. She is meeting Gorya after school to work on their group assignment.

As always, Yua is punctual. She is 15 minutes ahead of their scheduled time. She has found a cosy spot for their discussion (where the librarian wouldn't mind light voices), her materials are carefully organised on the table and in the meantime, she has retrieved additional books from the shelves that could act as reference materials. Lastly, she also has a matcha latte on the table to help her power through the meeting.

Yua eyes her watch and notes it is exactly 5 pm but her project partner is not in sight yet.

She takes out her phone and texts her.

Yua

Where are you?

She sees the speech bubble say delivered but she doesn't get a response yet.

A thought runs in the back of her mind. She remembers Gorya telling her she dropped out of school before.

Yua feels a trickle of irritation, but she swats it away.

A few minutes later, she can hear someone speaking in hushed voices. Yua doesn't pay it any mind; she is focused on highlighting her textbook.

"Hey, you're here already?!"

The voice startles her hand. Yua notes her highlighter has left a jagged trail in its wake. It is unsightly.

Yua looks up and sees Gorya.

She smiles at her and there is a drink in her hand and a small clear plastic bag in the other, filled with a few pastry boxes.

Yua doesn't return her smile, "You're late."

Goya cups her hands together and pouts her lips cutely, "I know. I'm sorry but I was waiting for my senior. He was running late. And then when he finally got here, he wanted to buy us some snacks to treat us."

Yua inhales and tries to exhale her annoyance out. At least, Gorya is finally here, so they can start and get this over with as soon as possible.

She says, "It's ok", even though she doesn't mean it.

Gorya is settling herself in when Yua remembers, "So, where's your senior?"

Gorya points with her head behind her, and Yua follows her line of sight.

Yua thinks maybe mercury is in retrograde.

When mercury is in retrograde, you will notice big emotions from the past rocking up, and they tend to bring old into the present.

Honestly, she is not one to believe in the power of a higher being or the sun, the moon, and the stars. But if not, then she has no explanation for how all these things keep happening to her recently, over and over again.

Gorya's senior drawls out, "Nong Yua."

Yua has to tilt her head up to see him eye to eye. Inwardly, she curses his height.