- PROLOGUE -

Yua tugged on the collar of her shirt for the 3rd time today. The knitted fabric of her white polo was made of an expensive composition of natural and polyester fibres. However, Yua who had solely grown up on pure cotton shirts as a part of her school uniform, was still slightly disoriented with this new piece of clothing article.

She is not new to polo shirts. She has worn it for leisure; during tennis matches with her mother, when she went golfing to socialise, or when she joined horseback riding during her summer camps.

However, to incorporate and implement an article of clothing solely defined for leisurewear or recreational activities, into a part of her school uniform that is solely meant for structure crosses an unspoken boundary. So, while it has been a few weeks since Yua has been a student at Köcher High School already, the sight of white polo still disconcerts her every morning.

"Well, it is to be expected. This is Thailand, and I'm not in the Swiss anymore."

Every now and then, Yua has the niggling feeling, maybe, it is not so much the polo that disturbs her, but the fact that she had to relocate her whole life to a different country at the snap of a finger.

When Yua looks outside the dark-tinted windows of her car, the visage that greets her is not the grey weather and people bunched in cosy jackets and warm coffee in their hands. Rather, its pedestrians walking with colourful portable fans and the unmistakable sheen of the hot and humid weather reflecting on their skin. To Yua who is comfortably sitting inside an air-conditioned vehicle in her 3-piece shirt, vest and blazer, they look worlds apart.

As the car comfortably drives past the iron-wrought gates, twisting and turning through several sprawling state-of-the-art buildings and manicured lawns, and into the parking lane in front of Köcher High, Yua states to herself with a finality, "We are worlds apart."

When she looks at the motto of the school, branded in front of the main building, it seems to mock her.

"Salt of the earth, light of the world."

X ----------------------------X

Author notes: 

To be honest, its me. I'm the one still disoriented by their polo shirts instead of crisp cotton shirts.