- CHAPTER 20 -

"Only two pairs of this model exist in the whole of Thailand. I know Madam has been a long-standing patron of ours, so I made sure to order one in your size."

The sales representative takes over a tray from her co-worker. With her cotton gloved hands, she carefully holds out the pair of cream-coloured satin pumps. The front has a gorgeous buckle inlaid with swirling crystals and pearls. The stones give off a luminous glow under the store's lights.

Aunt Mook gasps, "Oh, these are beautiful."

Her barely controlled excitement is visible, and she waits with bated breath as the staff helps her put on the shoes.

She stands up and takes a few delicate steps, admiring herself in the floor-to-wall length mirror.

"Yua, what do you think?"

Yua is pulled out of her reverie, her mind trying to juggle between making plans for homework, preparing notes for the upcoming Quiz bowl and that other two draft proposals her mother wanted additional revisions on, by the end of the week.

Right now, she would give anything to be at home, safe within the confines of her room and spending her precious time on things that deserve her attention.

Some part of her brain regrets making such a rash decision, accepting Aunt Mook's invitation on a whim. She is not a rebellious teenager, acting out against her mother simply because of an argument. But she refuses to give her mother the satisfaction of admitting her wrongs or her hasty judgement.

Without missing a beat, Yua graciously compliments her. "It is beautiful, Aunt Mook. It was meant for you."

It's not hard to figure out what she wants to hear.

Aunt Mook beams with a smile. When she tells the sales representative to pack this away for her, the staff member smiles even more brightly at the promise of a generous commission coming her way.

"You should get something too."

Yua is caught off-guard for a second, but she immediately denies her, putting her manners into work.

"That is alright by me." She makes a show of looking around the store, "They're not my style."

Aunt Mook waves her off, "Nonsense. You know what –", she pauses in the middle of her sentence. Her eyes suddenly widen with an idea, and she gestures to the salesgirl from earlier, "Bring out the other pair."

Yua realises where this is going, she wants to turn her down but that staff is faster than her refusal.

Before she knows it, the sales representative is already carrying another tray. When she sets it on the table, she can see the other pair comes in a shade of light blue satin. The sheen has an almost silver-grey undertone. Aunt Mook marvels again with a dreamy sigh.

"Oh child, you must get it. It is beautiful."

Yua can admit it is indeed a stunning pair, but she cannot bring herself to muster the same amount of enthusiasm. Her mind is preoccupied with other topics.

Nevertheless, any more resistance seems futile, so Yua just accepts the help from the sales representative.

Whatever. It's not like, it could be my size anyway.

Despite her small stature, her shoe size always tended to run large.

Without holding much hope, Yua slipped her foot in.

It fit like a glove.

Surprised, Yua put on the other side as well. Standing tall, she stared at the pair of pumps through the mirror. The high heels elongated her height, arching her posture in an elegant stature. The light caught onto the crystals and twinkled, winking at her.