5

Previously:
"We need to get the rest of the Roman campers here as fast as possible and with more protection." Percy answered. "Annabeth is sending troops to the tunnel exits." He silently wondered how many more times he would have to say that.

Leo froze in whatever he was doing. "Alright, this can wait then." He crawled out of the pile and headed over to the exit of the bunker.

"What were you working on?"

"Hopefully a few surprises for when Annabeth comes to attack the camp."

"Have you seen Percy?"

"Not recently, the last time I saw him, he was working on something with Leo."

"That can't be good."

"Why?"

"Have you not heard the last time those two teamed up on a project?"

"...no? Should I be worried?"

"Half of the forest blew up and some of the beach on the forest side sank into the ocean."

"..."

"Yeah, I don't know what they're planning this time but since they got the Argo II sent out to get all the Roman demigods, Percy's stress level has been at it's lowest point since Annabeth joined the dark side."

"Oh, no. Does that mean—?"

"Yup, you should probably avoid Bunker 9 and anything that has to do with water for the next week. Probably heavy foot traffic areas too."

"Great, I was so enjoying the peaceful lake too.....Hey, isn't that the Roman leader?"

"Preator Reyna, yeah, I think so."

"I wonder why she's running like that."

"Hey, that's Hazel and Frank, too!"

"Why do they look like they've got a hellhound on their tail?"

"Oh, styx, look out!"

-            -            -

Percy's lips twitched upwards as he heard Leo cackle ahead of him. This project will be a lot of fun once they are out of the war.

If they ever make it out alive.

"Percy, they're heading towards the lake!"

Without another word, Percy clicked the button on the harness that was on Mrs. O'Leary. He was riding the large hellhound at a speed that rivaled the fastest race horses. There was the sound of a machine wounding up and a loud pop. Suddenly, he was on the shores of the lake, knocking one of the campers that were innocently sitting in the sand into the lake.

"Sorry!" He shouted, before urging Mrs. O'Leary towards his three Roman friends.

Leo appeared out of nowhere with a loud pop just above him on a fully reconstructed bronze dragon. The four of them raced after the panicking Romans with loud cackles on Leo's part.

Serves them right for thinking Percy was crazy and leaving Camp Jupiter defenseless.

They played the game of cat and mouse—monster and demigod?—until Reyna, Hazel, and Frank could no longer breathe. They fell to the ground in a pile outside the Big House in despair, wheezing.

"Take...me now!" Frank said, his arm over his eyes. "I...give up! But...eat...Reyna first!"

"Hey!" Reyna was not as out of breath as Frank was so she sat straight up and punched him in the arm before plopping back down.

Percy chuckled lowly as Mrs. O'Leary trotted up to them. She was panting lightly and wagging her tail so much it knocked over some campers on the way. The oversized dog enjoyed that too much. "What do you think of one of our new defenses?" He leaned on the hellhound's head to look down at the three exhausted demigods.

"It's...a defense?" Hazel panted indignantly.

"I thought...it was...a prank!" Frank said, taking his arm down.

"Yeah, that too!" Leo called from atop Festus.

"Leo, how is the Argo II functioning without Festus?" Reyna asked.

"I made another AI for it." Leo waved his hand. "Elpida will take good care of them, don't you worry."

"What are your plans for these defenses?" A new voice asked from the porch. Chiron had watched the entire thing and was now trying to hide the smile he'd had on since he first caught a glimpse of them. It was good to see Percy almost care free again. Though he wasn't yet back to normal.

Mr. D had watched from over the cards in his hands but showed nothing of what he thought of it.

Percy sobered up at the question, which made Chiron regret asking it.

"We hope to create a device for each demigod for the upcoming battles. They only take you places you can see but they let you take other people and things with you." Percy answered. "They'll be really helpful for the Apollo campers when they need to get someone to the infirmary quickly."

"That's...brilliant...Percy!" Hazel said from the ground.

"Leo thought of them," Percy deflected. "I just did what I was told."

Leo pretended to toss hair over his shoulder. "No need to thank me, I only ask that I get help with the next project that's not Percy."

"Hey!" Percy protested. It wasn't fair that Leo would hold that one time with the explosion in the forest against him. It was almost a year ago now!

"I can help." Hazel volunteered. "Maybe my powers can be of use."

Percy looked over at Chiron while Leo gave Hazel instructions. "We'll start out with the animals and Apollo campers," he said. "I think it's most important for them to get these devices." He tapped the harness on Mrs. O'Leary. "After that we'll be able to give them out to everyone."

Chiron nodded. "Do you know what else Leo has planned?"

Percy smiled a little. "You're going to love it."

"Do hurry, Mr. Johnson," Mr. D spoke up from the table, not looking away from his little game of solitaire. "My most recent meeting at Olympus revealed we are running out of time."

Percy sighed. "And who said that? Apollo? Or Dad?"

"Your father has noticed fewer of his subjects are answering to him." Mr. D looked away from his cards now, right into Percy's eyes. "We won't have the support we want from the water front."

-            -            -

"I didn't realize they would have something so soon."

"I'm soaked and it's because of you!"

"Me? What about Jackson? It's him and his dog that knocked you in the lake!"

"You didn't tell me to stay away from bodies of water sooner!"

"When was I supposed to do that?"

"I don't know! Maybe while you were flirting with one of the naiads?"

"What are you talking about? Lynn hasn't been here for weeks, she's visiting some old friends in the Atlantic."

"Whatever, I'm going to go change."

...sloshsloshslosh...

"Hey, you! You need to get away from the water!"

"What? Why?"

"We've received word that the naiads could have switched sides, Percy's going to work on a barrier from the ocean so that no sea spirits come in that way to attack camp."

...

"You mean Lynn could be joining forces with Pontus and not visiting old friends?"

"Yeah, sorry, buddy. Everyone needs to stay away from the lake and the beach unless on patrol."

"Oh, no."