37. Time bomb

METIN

It was a morning like any other in the agency, all a general rush from one side to the other, printouts, meetings and coffee-flavoured brainstorms, but I took no notice. I only had one goal at that moment. I had to do something, and I had to do it now.

I was about to contact her, but as luck would have it, just as I was walking towards Can's office, she was walking towards me.

"Good morning Metin." she greeted me as usual.

"Good morning Deren." I greeted her.

"Metin? Are you OK? You seem nervous today." she replied.

"Deren, I need to talk to you about something important. It's urgent." he said seriously.

"About what? What happened?" asked Deren worriedly.

"I'll tell you what. Let's meet at the café down the street, over coffee I'll tell you about it." I said.

"But you're scaring me like that." she replied surprised.

"You don't have to scare yourself. You just have to listen to me. You'll understand when you hear." I insisted.

"Alright..." replied Deren confused.

"See you in five minutes." I concluded, continuing straight on my way.

A LITTLE LATER...

Deren reached the bar and sat down slowly given her nine-month-old baby bump.

A little later she saw Ezgi arrive.

"Ah! Ezgi?" she called her as soon as she saw her pass by.

"Deren?" she replied surprised. "Hello! What a coincidence!" she exclaimed happily.

Deren tried to get up.

"No, stop, stop." Ezgi stopped her, lowering herself to greet her with a hug.

"What are you doing here?" asked Deren.

"I'm meeting someone. He has given me a date here." she said.

"Ah, a hot date?" asked Deren mischievously.

"No." she replied seriously. "Not at all." she added, looking around. "But I don't see him, maybe I'm early." she said.

"And what about you?" she asked in turn.

"I..." she started to say, then seeing her standing there, she added: "Have a seat here. Come. Let's wait together." she said.

"I too am waiting for someone. A colleague from work." Deren replied.

Meanwhile Metin came out of Fikri Harika and went to the bar.

When he arrived he saw them both sitting next to each other at the same table, he smiled to himself, thinking how lucky he was that day.

He approached.

"Girls?" he greeted them with a smile.

"Ah, Metin, there you are." Deren replied.

"Ezgi?" he greeted her.

Deren looked at Ezgi and then at Metin.

"You two know each other?" she asked.

Ezgi was at a loss. She wished she had not shown up for that meeting at all, and now more than ever.

"Yes, we know each other." Metin answered for her. "And for a long time, too." he replied.

"Ah! Really? I didn't know that." commented Deren dispiritedly.