30. Timing game

At 5 a.m. Sanem's brain decided to get going again, despite the few hours of sleep, which forced her to get up early.

She reached the kitchen where she prepared a nice steaming tea for herself and her father, who, as was the custom, would shortly wake up to open the shop.

When Nihat saw her awake at that hour, sitting at the table in the garden, he joined her still sleepy rubbing his eyes.

"Good morning daddy." she greeted him with a smile.

"Good morning..." he replied, yawning.

"Daughter? Why are you up so early?" asked her father.

"Here, I was waiting for you to wake up so we can have tea together and let you know I'm coming home. I have to change and run to the lab. They called me in for some developments on a new fragrance I've been working on for some time." she lied partly.

"Ah..." her father replied, waking up.

"Sorry, I won't be able to have breakfast with you." said Sanem.

"Don't worry, my daughter, it was already good that you stayed here to sleep." he said. "Breakfast together will be for another time."

"We will make it up. I promise." she replied as she got up to serve tea to her father.

"Enjoy it. I'm off." said once she placed the cup in front of him and greeted him with a kiss on the cheek.

"Bye child! Take care on the way." he repeated to her as always.

"Don't worry daddy, I'm not driving. The driver is waiting for me at the entrance of the neighbourhood." she reminded him.

"Ah, I know, but still, you can never be too careful." her father replied.

"Say hello to mummy for me, will you?" she asked her.

"Of course, my child." her father replied, sipping his tea. Come back more often!" shouted after him as she had already reached the front door.

As soon as she was out, she turned to the right at a brisk pace. She felt watched, as she did every time she was in the neighbourhood. Surely some neighbour was watching her, or if not them, surely her father or mother from some windows.

Once she reached the exit of the neighbourhood, she looked around and turned left, slowing her pace to reach the park nearby.

At that hour there was no one around. Just a few rare people running. As she approached the spot indicated to her, under a large tree with thick foliage she noticed the figure of a man wearing a hat.

His back was turned. It was definitely Volkan.

She crossed the road and caught up with the man behind her.

When he heard footsteps approaching, the man turned around. Volkan took off his sunglasses and greeted him with a smile.

For a fraction of a second, just a fraction of a second, she had thought to looking at another person.

Fortunately that was not the case. She breathed a sigh of relief and greeted him.

"There is news, I presume." Sanem deduced.

"There is." he confirmed. "I think I have discovered the secret, Mrs Divit." he declared.

Sanem squinted her eyes. "Really?"

Volkan nodded.

"You found out last night?" she asked remembering the scene.

"Not really... I'll explain now." he said.