183

183

HOLY SHIT!

There are people everywhere, crowding my whole lounge room and a bit into the hallway. Everyone is grinning from ear to ear as everyone cheers at my reaction. People swarm me left right and center, wishing me a happy eighteenth birthday.

My best friends are closest, with Alex leaning against the wall with a smug grin. I manage to make it through the swarm of people as somewhere, someone turns on the music.

He's wearing slacks and a shirt buttoned to the top. His hair is neatly disheveled and there is a certain gleam in his eyes.

"You did this, didn't you?" I have to almost shout above the music and the people who have started talking around me.

"You really didn't think I would live with just seeing you tomorrow, did you?" He asks, taking a step towards me. "You know me better than that."

I just shake my head in astonishment and pull him into a tight hug. "Thank you," I breathe into his shoulder. "I love it."

"He couldn't have done it without me!" The voice of my best friend exceeds the noise level in this room as she tugs me away from Alex. "Come on, chicky! It's your birthday and you have a lot of people wanting to wish you a happy one."

She is right on that point. Everyone in this room wants to say 'happy birthday', even the people who I hardly recognize, which are a fair few. All of the football guys are here, along with Alise's nice friends. Then there is obviously my group of friends and all of their connections, including Noah and his girlfriend, Bonnie.

When I get to them I laugh at the memory of the phone call this morning. They both hug me at the same time but they don't seem to be staying.

"You're not going to stay?" I try to ask over the music. I'm not sure if they can hear me.

"We're on baby-duty. We just came to wish you happy birthday and to collect your brother for baby-sitting," Bonnie explains, smoothing out her brown hair over her shoulders.

"Awh, that's so sweet guys. Thank you!"

Noah grins at me. "No problem birthday girl. It's not like we would have a choice with Alex and all."

Bonnie slaps her boyfriend on the stomach before pushing him out of the house, not letting me ask any questions about the matter. I frown but it doesn't stay on my face for very long, because that's when my friends catch up to me. They're the last I'm greeting because I know they won't be offended.

We gather in the kitchen where only a few of the party population are standing as my close friends wish me happy birthday. Alex, Luke, Joshua, Aidan, Lacey, Beckett, Olive and Ryan take their turns hugging me, before Luke pulls out a bottle of what is clearly alcohol.

Vodka, I read.

I smile as Luke says, "You're eighteen so you need your first drink!"

I glance over to Mum and Dad, standing in the corner of the kitchen. I'm not sure if I physically can have alcohol and I hope they understand what I'm really asking when I say:

"Can I?"

Mum's eyes soften as she realizes that I'm not asking for permission, but for a medical OK. She laughs and nods, covering for me. "Of course, sweetie. You're eighteen!" I know I'm the only one who notices her thumb and pointer close together, telling me just a little bit.

Olive sets a shot glass on the table, trying to keep  her excitement on her face. She's struggling. She pours me less than half of the glass and I silently thank her, lifting the glass to my lips.