225

225 -

Our plane landed in Mackay, Queensland, 1 hour ago and we are only just getting to baggage claim now. We were hauled up on the plane for over half an hour and then there were problems with elderly people walking down the steps onto the runway so it has taken us an hour.

Dad is carrying a sleeping Quentin as we escape the sticky heat into the cool airport. Mum is walking beside him in a pretty dress while I decided it was a good idea to wear short denim overalls, a singlet and a flannelette tied around my waist. At least I'm wearing sandals.

"Thank God for air conditioning," Alex mutters when we enter through the sliding doors. It's a small airport but, like everywhere in Queensland, the aircon is running full blast.

I'm not paying attention to that though, no. My eyes are scanning the airport for my grandmother who is picking us up. I haven't seen her in so long and I have missed her.

Then I see her, a little old lady standing by the baggage claim sign in a long summery dress. Her graying blonde hair is tied up and she has the biggest smile on her face when she sees me.

I drop my backpack and run at her, my smile so wide I think my face will break. My feet slap against the tiles until I get to her, hugging her before saying a word.

"Dakota!" She exclaims, her Australian accent much thicker than ours. We think it's because she lived in the outback for a while.

"Nanna!" I greet her, hugging her tightly before pulling away. It's too hot to hug for too long. "How are you? How is Poppy? What have you been up to?"

"Patience, dear," she smiles, her hand holding my chin. "We can talk about all that soon. First, I must greet my less favourite people." She winks at me and I laugh, turning to my family and Alex, who has thankfully picked up my bag.

"Allison, Paul," Nanna smiles, opening her arms wide for them both to hug her at once. "And my little Quentin. Hello sweetie," she cooes quietly, knowing not to wake him up.

She then turns to the boy who has just helped me put my backpack back on. "And who is this handsome young man?"

"Nanna, this is my friend Alex. He is my-" I wince at the word "-date to Georgia's wedding. Alex, this is my grandmother, B-"

"Call me Nanna. Everyone does," she says, before hugging Alex as well. I can see he is surprised but he doesn't say it, all he says is, "It's nice to meet you."

"And you," Nanna says, before linking her arm through mine as we walk ahead to the baggage claim.

"So how is my favourite grand daughter?" She asks, taking a step back to observe me. "You've gotten so skinny-" she pinches my waist "-recently. Not because of your cancer, I hope." My nanna is very open about this and is much like Olive; she cares that I'm dying but doesn't treat me differently because of it.

"You're not supposed to have favourites," I tell her, shaking my head in condescension. "Isn't Georgia meant to be your favourite? Especially because she is getting married tomorrow?"

"She can be my favourite tomorrow but I haven't seen you for almost a year. Since Christmas, it's been!"

I spot my black suitcase and go to get it off the carousel, but Alex beats me to it. He is standing a bit away from us, in conversation with Mum. Dad is staying quiet so that Quen will stay asleep. Although it is so noisy in here I'm surprised he hasn't woken up by now.

Alex sets my suitcase down in front of me, winks, and then turns back to the Mum. I feel like he is a bit nervous right now, having just met Nanna and about to meet the rest of my family. I really should have asked Poppy to come to the airport; he is much less intimidating than my grandmother. No one knows what to think of her at first, but she is so much like my mother that I have no worries about Alex fitting in.