The Empress

"Alright, Irving. What are the tasks for today?"

    "Just got the bug report. Grimora has been reported to clip through walls and will need stabilization, the Mycologist isn't adapting to the code and will need tweaking, Po3 is still broken and we will need more NPCs."

    "Po3's still broken? Damn, I don't wanna deal with that right now. He's been such a pain in the ass. As for the Mycologist...eh? I'll check it out. I might just reduce his role a lot. This entire game's been so stressful. I'll fix Grimora and work on her biom and I'll check the Mycologist."

    "And Po3?"

    "Ugh, I can't WORK on Po3. His code isn't compatible with the rest of the game and unless I get access to the original code, there isn't anything I can do!"

    "Very well, I will try and get perms from the boss. There is currently one email in your inbox, Kaycee. Would you like me to read it?"

    "Yeah, sure."

    The Empress sat on her throne in the empty throne room, working on the magic box that hosted the universe. The Blue Man served as her right-hand man, searching the mailbox for the letter from God?̶͓̳̩̓̑̑͌̐̚

    "Email one: Ms. Hobbs, we are currently understaffed at Gamefuna and will require you to continue work on Inscryption. The release date has not changed. Due to this, it is recommended you continue to work on Inscryption at your current home location. Gamefuna will provide the computer and monitor needed to continue work at your home location. Gamefuna will not be responsible for the damage and deletion of Inscryption on and off location property."

    "Are you kidding? Not even an extra week?"

    "Would you like me to delete the email, Kaycee?"

    "No, no. It's fine. Is there anything there that says I get overtime?"

    "Apologies, Kaycee. There is not."

    "Whatever. Let's just hope they don't pay me in Inscryption trading cards again. God, I hate those things."

    The Empress got to work, controlling and creating the world of Inscryption and looking over them as its God. It just sucked being God sometimes, y'know?

    And so, the first order of business was for God to create life. Grimora required a few more ghouls. All she had currently was Royal Dominguez and Sawyer Patel. All the other ghouls were just background characters. Most of them wouldn't even be seen in-game. The Empress pulled up the file of a skeleton. Just a basic one. Adding some details here and there, an icy skeleton was made. The Empress always did prefer the cold. Now for a name...

    Actually, why not name the character after herself? If the Empress was the only one working on the game, who would stop her? The Blue Man? Maybe, but she could fight it.

—————————————————————————————————————————

    Grimora returned from the Mausoleum and walked out to her gazebo by the Darkland's shores. Royal watched her leave.

    More and more, Grimora had spent time in her mausoleum. It seemed like she spent days in there before emerging from the entrance and disappearing again and again. Royal tried and tried to understand what was wrong, but Grimora continued to push away. It got to a point where the two rarely ever talked anymore.

    Royal sat in the bar, staring down at the rootbeer before him. The barkeep washed the few remaining cups, listening to the pirate captain wail.

    "I jus' don't understand why she's been doin' this! We've worked together since the beginnin'! Ever since she met that swashbuckler Magnificus everythin''s changed!" Royal wept. The Barkeeper simply nodded. "I jus' wish things could go back t' the way 'twas- ahoy, barkeep, ye got anythin' other than root ale?"