Part 15: "Remember, Always"

Start from the beginning

Bandiras led the pair into the forest. At the center was a clearing, but Merlin could sense that this was no ordinary clearing.

Bandiras confirmed, "The minute you enter this clearing, you will return to your own world. Approximately five minutes will have passed from the time you left. Phantasm will never forget your valor. The deeds you have done and the courage you have shown will be passed on for many generations. Go forth as friends of Phantasm."

Arthur and Merlin clasped hands and stepped into the clearing at the same moment. A rushing wind enveloped them, forcing them to close their eyes against its sting.

The first things Arthur heard when the wind died down were urgent voices calling and footsteps running toward him. The first things he saw were armored men, mounted on horses and carrying swords. It only dawned on him after he had brandished his weapon at each of them that these were his own men: Leon, Elyan, Gwaine, and even Percival.

"Your Majesty!" Sir Leon could not understand the sudden frenzy of the king, "What happened? Did you find the thief? Where are your horses?"

Arthur blinked. "I did—What are...Horses? I mean, the man—" he stopped and looked at Merlin, unable to think straight, much less concoct a good enough tale to explain their disheveled appearance that wasn't the truth. The chase through the forest seemed so long ago to Arthur, he had no idea what to say.

Merlin had more experience in the area.

"We left the horses behind to engage the man on foot," he explained. "We were just about to grab him when he just vanished into thin air without a trace." He boldly held the gaze of each knight in turn. "We have no idea where he went, and no hope of tracking him, either."

"What," Gwaine scoffed, "You mean like magic?"

Arthur flinched at the word, but Merlin turned his strange gaze on the knight.

"Yes, exactly," he agreed, "magic. We have no choice but to abandon the search."

The knights looked at each other, but at this point, Arthur had recovered enough to give the order himself.

"Return to the castle. I don't think we're ever going to see that scoundrel again."

"Yes, sire," Sir Leon and the others mumbled, but Sir Percival was not satisfied. Arthur and Merlin both looked bone-weary after one morning's chase, Merlin's clothes had suddenly disintegrated into tatters, and Arthur had dark blood and clumps of fur clinging to his mail, when there had been no animal in the forest, much less one with black, heavy fur!

He stared at the two long enough for them to feel uneasy before he asked, "What happened to you?"

"Nothing!" King and servant spoke in unison. Percival had no choice but to accept their answer.

Merlin arrived in Gaius' hovel and trudged gratefully to his bed.

No sooner had he laid himself down than Gaius knocked on his door. The old physician frowned when he saw his apprentice in bed before noon.

"What do you think you're doing?" he asked.

"Arthur gave me the day off," Merlin muttered quickly.

Gaius raised his eyebrow, but did nit voice any objection. Instead, he handed Merlin a packet.

"This just came for you," he said.

Merlin took it and examined it. "Who sent it?" he asked.

Gaius shrugged, "One of the maids brought it, and she wouldn't say." He waited, obviously interested to see the contents of such a strange missive.

Merlin brought the plain envelope close to his face. The paper had a familiar scent about it—very like the smell of the tanks in Pierson's castle. Merlin felt the slight bulge at the end of the envelope. Instantly, he knew who sent it. For the old physician's benefit, he feigned disinterest and tossed the envelope aside.

"I'm tired, I'll open it later," he sighed.

Gaius nodded. "I hope you're not falling ill, Merlin. It's only midday, I fail to understand how you can be so sleepy so soon." He stood, as if waiting for Merlin to break down and tell him the truth.

The young warlock held to the ruse. "If I am getting sick, Gaius," he rolled over, "you'll be the first to know."

Gaius took the hint. "Very well," he said, leaving the room and closing the door behind him.

The minute Gaius was gone, Merlin seized the envelope and tore it open. 

Inside was a message with only two words: "Remember Always." Merlin put out his hand and caught the second item from the packet: a single gold link from a chain, one that could fit around his finger like a ring. Merlin slipped it on, and lay back in his bed. 

This was going to be one adventure he would not forget for a very long time.