23. Handle it

CHAPTER 23

Y/Ns pov.

" Is there anything so undoing as a daughter?

I listened as Silco talked to himself, or well, more like to Vander. He sat on the concrete of a fountain made as my father's memorial, a flask in his hand.
I've followed him here from his meeting with one of the council members, where I heard every single word.

The flames were roaring in my heart at the thought of him giving Jayce what he wants; Jinx. In return, Silco would get independence and a seat at the table. All he ever wanted, was what he worked so hard for, everything was his if he gives Jinx to them.

I peeked through the statue, watching as he poured the alcohol into the muddy water. The green liquid made me different. I didn't know what it was, but it seemed to make my emotions heightened.

My browns drew together and I breathed hard. The anger wasn't going away, and I left the shadows, standing right in front of the man, pointing the gun at him. The same one his daughter made for me, and now I'll end him with her creation.

" what are you doing, child?", his head was lowered, he didn't even need to look at me. Perhaps he didn't want to; seeing a girl he raised like a daughter aiming the gun at him, at his head was too painful, or maybe he doesn't think I'd dare.

" you know damn well", I gritted out, waiting for god knows what to pull the trigger.

Silco shook his head, finally lifting it and his eyes met with my green ones that shone brightly in the gloom. I didn't see fear, only sadness, and regret," and what do you assume would happen when Im dead?", he chuckled, a hint of numbness in his tone.

No one was here to protect him, save him. No men of his, no Sevika, and most importantly, Jinx. It was me and him, in front of the statue of who I once called dad.

I shrugged, my mouth curved into a bright smile," I'll take over Zaun, or at least your portion", there was no doubt in my voice. I was suitable to take over Silco's seat, if I wouldn't Sevika would have never let me harm him, moreover, tell me his location.

" how about Jinx?", he threw his hands in question, dropping the flask onto the floor," you believe I haven't recognized how you're all up against each other?".

I chewed on my bottom lip, thinking hard; way too hard. The way he knew all this time and said nothing pierced my mind. He had made a point. Jinx will be crushed, I don't even want to think about how she'll react to his death. The girl might never talk to me again, even if she didn't know it was me who killed him. Her mentality wasn't in the right state, but it will never be.

My jaw went tight, and I shifted uncomfortably, still aiming at the man. A sting of doubt went through me and I pursed my lips, only Jinx was stopping me at the minute, the images of her crying and having a breakdown strangled me whole.

" I know you love her", his eyes seemed to reach the deepest depths of my broken soul," more than a friend. And you know if I die, she'll go too far".

I felt my eyes well with tears, and I let them drop. There was so much green liquid mixed with them, I shut them just for a second. To let it burn, as much as it could. Tore me open inside, snatch everything away from me. Yet, I held on to the past. Because I still live every day to wake up alone, without a family to love me and it was all his fault.

Silco noticed the change in my expression, the way it went cold as ice, and the greenish tears that rolled on my cheeks surely made me look unsettling, even his stare flashed with surprise," you'll lose yourself in the darkness, child", his voice was clear, almost as if he knew what happens next.

The man didn't tremble, he did not fight back. Silco has accepted his fate and I wondered how could he not protest anymore, how can he peacefully go without saying goodbye to his daughter? Vander never had a chance to say goodbye to me too, nor had my brothers, therefore I didn't care about that. He can leave the way Vander did.

" I can handle it", my tone was deeper than ever, it went deep in my throat as I dragged myself closer to him.

Silco followed my every step, unnoticeably trembling as the barrel got closer to his head," the things we do for family", I repeated his words from a while ago and did not waste any second before pulling the trigger.

The bullet went straight through his skull, and blood splashed onto Vander's statue, into the water. Not even a drip landed on me. I stared with a flat face.

He was dead. Silco was finally dead. My revenge was over.

________________

"Jinx?!", I yelled out. My voice cracked and hit the walls of her workshop, echoing loudly in my ears. She had to be here already, and I was about to put on the biggest act in my life.

I squinted my eyes, adjusting to the dark, scanning the area searching for Jinx. And just as I was about to step in, my vision caught her frame. She was on the sofa, talking to Mylo's dummy.

In a minute I was running to her, fake tears streamed out of my eyes and everything around me was blurry. I felt tired and weak, yet, I still had to tell Jinx what happened, to lie.

" Y/N??", she looked up at me, the corner of her eyes creased with concern. Before I slammed myself against her I noticed how pink they were.

Her hands drew around me, squeezing me tighter. I didn't let the tears stop falling onto her shoulder. My gaze fell on her pinkish veins. I could hear her heart roaring at the warm sensation of our hug. Nothing in this filthy world could describe how much I missed her, and now that I was in her arms, the feeling of longing was gone.

" Oh, what did they do to you?", Jinx backed away from the hug, framing my face in her soft hands. I closed my eyes, she was staring at them. The green color confused her, she wasn't scared, just worried.

I exhaled, jerking away from her touch, and plopped myself on her couch, curling my legs into my chest as I cried harder," it doesn't matter", my voice cracked again and even I was surprised with my acting skills. My hand reached for hers, pulling her in so she'd sit next to me," he's g-gone, Jinx".

I watched as her brows crashed down, probably as she was confused. I couldn't help but notice her drained look and I recalled the way her voice was hoarse as if she had screamed for the last three days I wasn't here. My hand snatched hers tightly, other went up to her face. She relaxed in my touch and I gathered all the words to spit out.

" Silco is gone, blueberry"