chapter twenty.

battle of starcourt

october 4th 1985.

3 months later...

Dallas sighs, head in her hands as she leans against the wall, her knees to her chest as she stares at nothing.

There's a knock on the door, then someone peeks in through the window, "Dallas?"

"Maybe she's not in there, man."

"She's not at home, she has to be here somewhere."

Dallas doesn't move, eyes still lingering on a certain spot on the wall, there's a mark on the wall, a bit of plaster board missing that Jim never got around to fixing and she remembers exactly how it got there.

"Careful."

"I've got it." The ten year old says confidently, poking her tongue out as she closes one eye and looks at the slingshot in her hands Jim had made for her for her birthday.

"Don't smash my windows-"

He's cut off as she lets it go, missing the can- and the fort of boxes around it- completely and hitting the wall instead, creating a big hole there.

She pauses looking up with a sheepish smile, "Try again?"

"Dallas!"

Dusitn pounds his fist on the door as Lucas and Max look in through the windows, "Come on, Will, El and the others are leaving today."

"They're going to California, we won't see them until next year." Max adds on.

Dallas makes no noise, it's the same a most days when Dusitn comes around, if she stays still, if she doesn't move, they'll go away.

She hears her brother sigh as something is dropped outside, "I'll be at home later."

She listens to their footsteps and finally stands, moving around the trailer, wearing a pair of sweats, an old Hawkin's swim team t-shirt and one of Jim's old flannels.

Despite being here most days for the past few months she hasn't really looked around. She pushes against the door that's locked but then sighs as she wanders over to the kitchen and clicks the kettle on, grabbing a mug and setting it on the counter.

She glances beside her at the unfinished school work piling up, and a letter Mrs Wilson handed to her on the first day of school.

The writing competition results.

As she waits she walks over to his radio, there's a mixtape in the cassette player and she flicks it on, pushing down on the play button.

As the first few cords play she looks down, a frown on her lips which turns to a smile as she laughs shaking her head.

'Everybody's gotta live, I think you know the reason why...'

"Oh, this is my song."

Jim looks over at her as she leans back against the car seat staring out of the window, "I thought you loved this song, come on, Dally, sing it!"

"I don't want to sing," The twelve year old mutters, adjusting herself to stare out of the window, "I wanted ice cream."

Jiim sighs, running a hand down his face as he rests it on the car door, "Look, I know your father disappointed you, but he's trying okay?"

"He's not trying hard enough, you know" She moves around, "Dustin's father took him to Disneyland last month my dad can't even be assed to show up to pick me up from school."

Jim sighs as he switches the hand on the wheel and reaches over squeezing her shoulder, "Come on, how about before I drop you off back home we go over to Benny's and grab a bite to eat, yeah?"

She nods, crossing her arms as she starts to lighten up a little bit, "If it saves me from mom's meatloaf, yeah."

Jim chuckles, shaking his head, "Only if you sing with me."

She groans hitting her head back against the headrest, "No."

"Come on, you used to love this song when you were younger, when this song first came out you loved it."

"You loved it." She corrects.

He fakes a sigh shrugging one shoulder, "Guess I'll just have to miss the exit and drop you off home early."

"I had a dream the other night, baby," He starts singing again missing the little smile on her face as he focuses on the road, "I dreamt that I was all alone, But when I woke up I took a look around myself, And I was surrounded by fifty million strong." He does an overdramatic 'Oh, yeah' before turning his head and raising a brow at her.

She shakes her head with a little giggle she fails to hide before joining in, "Everybody's gotta live, yes they do, And everybody's gonna die, Everybody's gotta live, good time, Before you know the reason why."

"Yeah, yeah! Sing it, Dally, go, go, song it!"

"Everybody's gotta live, And everybody's gonna die-"

"Louder! Louder! Scream it, form your chest."

They start singing together, Jim purposely going off key which causes her to smile, "Everybody's gotta live. You gotta live, before you, know the reason why."

She purses her lip as she stares down at the cassette, singing the song under her breath as she watches it spin.

Sniffling she grabs the big yellow envelope and rips it open looking down at the words printed in front of her, as the last few lines of the song play.

"Everybody gotta live, and everybody's gonna die."

Miss Dallas Jamie Hopper,
Second place.