chapter sixteen.

the bite

july 4th 1985

july 4th 1985.

"And..." Dustin pauses watching as people past them, "Blend."

The five quickly leave the toilets and merge in with the crowd, keeping close together, "Well, shit, that worked."

"Course it worked. We just have to get on the bus with the rest of these people, and home sweet home, here we come."

"Uh, Dustin?" Steve says quietly.

"What?"

"You might not want to go to your house."

"Why?"

"Well, I might've told them your full name."

Dustin looks back and does a double take, his face clear with disappointment, "What is wrong with you?"

"Dude, I was drugged."

"So?"

"So?" He echos.

"So, you resist, you tough it out. You tough it out like a man."

"Oh yeah, it's easy for you to say."

"Guys?"

Robin stops them from walking as they look up ahead, Russian guards are stopping everyone, checking their IDs and searching their bags as they leave. "Abort."

"Shit."

"Abort. Abort."

They all turn the other way, running back through the crowd of people who all just want to go home, "Shit!"

They turn as they get to the escalators to see two guards approaching, Robin wastes no time in jumping and sliding down the middle of the two escalators, followed by the others, once they get to the bottom they look around.

"Here."

They run for the food court counter and Dallas lifts Erica over, she and Steve help Dusitn and Robin get over and when Steve presents his hand for her she ignores it, jumping over herself followed by him.

The five sit with their backs to the counter, Erica at the end with Robin, Dustin beside her and Dallas sandwiched between him and Steve.

She grips her brother's hand a little tighter as they all hold their breath trying to be as quiet as possible, she squeezes her eyes shut and lets her head fall back against the cups behind her.

The footsteps get closer, each one slow and menacing. Reminding them off their impending doom.

Steve moves his hand to rest on top of Dallas' and she finally opens her eyes looking over at him as he gives her a little nod, lips twitching as he tries to force them into a smile.

The five flinch as a car alarm starts blaring, the horn beeping, there's a crash behind them along with yells and the five rise up slowly to see the car smashed into the either side of the food court.