chapter twelve.

the mind flayer

november 3rd 1984

november 3rd 1984.

After setting up the shed, covering everything up, changing the lights and setting up some chairs they take Will outside, Jim and Joyce going with him leaving the others inside.

Dallas sits on the floor with Mac, watching Steve swing his bat around and Dustin pace back and forth.

Dallas sighs as the dog climbs into her lap, resting her head on her shoulder again, this time they're facing each other instead of sitting side by side. Dallas leans her head back, closing her eyes, listening to the sound of footsteps before someone sits beside her.

"Will's gonna be fine."

"How'd you know it was me?"

She peels her eyes open to look over at Jonathan with a shrug, "I'm psychic."

He lifts his knees towards his chest and rests his elbows on them, "He's a strong kid, and between me and you," She leans a little closer to him, "He's my favourite."

He chuckles, nodding a little, "He likes you," Jonathan tells her and she smiles a little, "He's always liked you, he asked if you could be his sister once."

Her smile widens a little, "I'll trade you, you have Dustin and I'll have Will."

Dustin who is walking past looks down at her, "That's funny, that's really funny, you know what, I'll trade you Jonathan, you take my sister and I'll take one sme-"

"Okay, let's not start this now, huh?" Steve requests from the middle of the room, as he still swings around his bat.

"You fightin' off ghosts or something, Harrington?" Dallas questions, tilting her head up at him, he scrunches his nose, laughing sarcastically at her before he continues on.

"You and Steve Harringotn?" Jonathan whispers leaning closer and she elbows him hard.

"There is no me and Steve Harrington, okay?" Jonatah holds his hands up in defence as she turns away to watch Steve again, "He's been helping out my brother."

She leans closer to him lowering her voice, "You and Nancy Wheeler?"

He scoffs, shaking his head and a blush rises up his cheeks making her eyes widen, "Oh my God, something happened."

"Nothing happened."

She chances a quick glance at Steve who looks away, focusing his attention back to the bat, he can't hear them from where they're sat but he can see them getting very close.

"What happened?"

"Nothing."

"Jonathan Byers-"

"Nothing happened."

She gives him a simple look saying that she doesn't believe him, one that he completely ignores as he looks away from her.

After a few minutes, Jonathan and Mike go down to the shed to help them with Will leaving the others sitting around mindlessly.