chapter nine.

the body

10th november 1983

10th november 1983.

As they pull up to the stop sign Steve does a quick glance over to Dallas who sits in his passenger seat, one of his grey hoodies and a pair of his old Hawkin's gym shorts, a little green pair with yellow stitching, they're tight on her so she can't imagine how small they would have been on him.

The dog's on the floor between her legs, too big to fit on her lap, "What you gonna do if it's a stray?" He asks, pulling.

She pats the dog's head that rests on knee and shrugs, "I would keep her, I'd have to hide her from my mother, maybe I'll even let her eat the cat."

"You really hate that cat, huh?"

"Yeah. Only hate it 'cause my mother loves it more than me."

She sighs stroking the dog's head, "I think she only hates me because I remind her of dad. She hates the man but still makes me go there every other week, divorced parents sucks, man."

She chuckles looking over at him but his gaze is on the road, she shakes her head, regretting opening up when she sees the look on his face, "You wouldn't get it."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"I mean, you're Steve Harrington, your parents are rich, they're together, you can have anything you want. Look at your house, look at-look at you."

"Not everything."

She clears her throat trying to ignore the tension built in the car that she had accidentally caused, Steve drums his fingers against the wheel and then flicks the radio of the car on quickly.

As Fleetwood Mac fills the car Dallas begins to hum, making Steve look over at her with a raised brow, "You like FleetwoodMac?"

"I love Fleetwood Mac, Stevie Nicks is my queen."

She nods her head to the song as she sings quietly, "Now here I go again, I see the crystal visions."

Steve starts drumming along, hitting his hands on the steering wheel as he bobs his head up and down, "Come on, louder," He says joining in, "-Vision to myself, it's only me who wants to wrap around your dreams."

She shakes her head watching him move his whole body side to side as he keeps his eyes on the road, "And have you any dreams you'd like to sell? Dreams of lon-" He turns to look at her again nodding for her to join.

Sighing she looks out her window as she sings a little louder, "Like a heartbeat drives you mad, in the stillness of remembering what you had, and what you lost, and what you had..."

"Yeah, scream it!" She shakes her head, biting her lip to hide her smile, "Scream it, Hopper, go! There's no one around, scream it!"

"Thunder only happens when it's raining, players only love you when they're playing."