chapter nineteen.

battle of starcourt

july 4th 1985.

"Flay this, you ugly piece of shit."

The Mind Flayer falls backwards as a firework hits it in the side, it turns his head towards Lucas, Dallas and Will, as its mouth opens wide and it moves towards them Lucas throws one into its mouth making it fall backwards.

Dallas lights a bunch of fireworks, handing some to Will before throwing her own at the creature.

Billy grabs El's leg dragging her towards the Mind Flayer and Dallas yells for her, "You guys going to be okay by here?"

They nod and she runs around towards the escalators, going the other way so she doesn't have to pass Steve and Nancy, she slides down, ducking as fireworks go off eveyrhwere.

Steve pasues watching the girl run, sliding underneath one of the Mind Flayers legs, "Hopper!"

He goes to run after her but Robin stops him, "You can't help her down there."

"Billy!"

She stands in front of him stopping him from getting to the Mind Flayer, chest rising and falling with each long breath she takes, "Billy, let her go."

He tilts his head, dropping the girl and she crawls backwards, "Look, I'm not going to stand here and say this isn't you, me and you both now you're a little messed up, but we also both know you're not this messed up."

She glances over at El who is still struggling to pull herself backwards, holding a hand out in front of her she walks forward carefully, "I mean, come on, we were starting to get along, right? You gave me a few rides, kept me company on some shifts. I mean, yeah we aren't best friends, but I'll still be a little bummed if you become some evil smiley hizard thing."

Billy's face doesn't change as he stares at her, eyes dark and lips curled. "Come on, Hargrove."

She walks a little closer to him, breath stuttering as she swallows the lump in her throat. "Come on. You were changing, you were- you were getting nicer-"

He takes a single step forward and she freezes at the quick movement but he doesn't do anything else, she finally breathes again releasing the breath she was holding and takes another step step forward.

His eyes fall to the hand outstretched, he can see the purple bruise he made peeking out over the top of the leather band of the watch.

Noticing his gaze there she switches hands, risking another glance at El, 'Go' she mouths but El shakes her head as she keeps dragging herself backwards, "Go."

Billy shakes his head, moving forward quickly, hand locking around her throat and squeezing, eyes darkening even more as he lifts her from the floor as if she weighs nothing.

He drags her closer, the tips of her shoes scraping the floor, she chokes as he pulls her face closer to his, "Stay out of our way."

She gasps, hands coming up to his wrist clawing at him to let her go, "B-Bi-lly."