chapter three.

the mall rats

june 30th 1985

june 30th 1985.

Dallas sighs as rolls her neck, she watches Heather close her locker and sling her bag over her shoulder, "Bye, Dallas."

"Yeah, see you tomorrow?"

"Bright and early." She smiles tapping her shoulder as she passes.

Dallas nods, throwing her shoe on the floor with a huff, "Bright and early."

Cracking her neck as she stands shoving her things into the locker she walks outside and almost right into the back of Billy.

"Watch it, Hopper."

Her brows furrow as she looks up at him, he's dripping in sweat, vest wet and he keeps covering his eyes from the sun with his hand.

"Jesus, Hargrove, what are you on?"

She lifts her hand and goes to touch the back of it to his forehead but he grabs her wrist tightly, practically hissing as he holds her hand in the space between them.

"Let me go."

"Don't touch me."

He leans closer to her speaking through gritted teeth as she stares up at him trying to mask her fear as she draws her shoulders back, "You're hurting me."

He blinks, shaking his head as he steps back, his grip loosens but he doesn't let go, he can feel her heart beating against his thumb that rests on her wrist, right above the veins.

He swallows, looking away as he screws his eyes shut, "Billy?"

He steps back even further, finally letting her go as he watches a kid run in the gap between them, this world spins a little and he can briefly hear Dallas screaming across the pool for the kid to stop running.

She turns her attention back to him and steps forward just a little bit, "You should get up, you look ill, I can ask Greg to cover you-"

"No." He shoulders past her shaking his head, "Just get outta here, Hopper."

She rolls her eyes shaking her head as she follows after him, clutching her bag strap in her hand tightly and holding it to her body as she runs, "Hargrove, if you die and fall in the pool and drown or something-"

She grabs his arm, spinning him around to face her, "I'm going to feel slightly bad I didn't at least try to get you home."

He pulls his arm from her grip making her stumble forward, grimacing when her face almost meets his sweaty chest she takes a step back again, "Only slightly? You flatter me, Hopper, now run along and be a good little whore for Harrington, huh?"

She rolls her eyes watching him walk to the tower and shakes her head as she turns around, rubbing her bruised wrist as she heads for the gates, "Asshole."