chapter fourteen.

the gate

november 4th 1984

november 4th 1984.

Steve's eyes blink awake, he looks to the side, sight blurring as he blinks some more, "Hopper?"

Dustin's brows furrow and Steve lifts his hand to his face, "No, don't touch it." He gently moves his hand down, he looks up at Dustin who smiles, "Hey, buddy. It's okay, you put up a good fight. He kicked your ass but you put up a good fight."

"Hopper?"

"She's okay, she's okay," He smiles looking at his sister in the front seat, Lucas is squished in the seat beside her, holding a tea towel to the back of her head, the bleeding has stopped by now but he's trying to be extra careful.

"You're okay."

Lucas gives Max directions from the front he shifts, moving Dallas to lean against him rather than the car door, "Okay, you're gonna keep straight for half a mile, then make a left on Mount Sinal."

"What's going on?"

Max looks back at him and his breathing starts picking up, "Oh my god, oh my-"

"Just relax," Dustin says calmly, holding an ice pack to his head, "She's driven before."

"Yeah, in a parking lot." Mike adds snarkily.

"That counts."

"They were gonna leave you behind. I promised you'd be cool, okay?" Steve grunts as he lifts himself up, eyes falling to Dallas' unmoving figure, noticing Dustin shake his head, "She's fine."

"You killed your sister?"

"She's fine, she's just- sleeping, she's sleeping, okay, shh, be quiet, Steve, don't wake her."

"No, no, no, what's going on? Oh my god, stop the car! Slow down!"

Mike leans over him to look at Dustin, "I told you he'd freak out."

"Stop the car! Hopper! Stop the car!"

"Everybody shut up," Max yells from the front, "I'm trying to focus!"

"Oh wait, that's Mount Sinal, make a left."

"What?"

"Make a left!"

They hit a mailbox, the tyres screeching as she takes a sharp turn before they miss it, Steve screams grabbing Dustin as he hides his face in his arm.

Max pulls to a stop and Steve gasps, "Hello!"

"Whoa." Dustin chuckles.

"Incredible."

"I told you, zoomer."

Lucas opens up the door trying to pull Dallas out, she slips down dropping to the floor, "Hey, careful, she may be a piece of shit but that's my sister."