5. Storm of emotions

Start from the beginning

Can was also thinking about that moment. He cast a glance at Sanem which she did not return.

"So children are you ready? Aren't you excited to start school?" asked Mevkibe smilingly interrupting the look between the two.

"Yes, we are." replied the children quietly. They were a little bewildered. They were looking around.

Of all the various small groups of children that Deniz passed by, what caught his eyes was a child standing alone on the sidelines.

Nihat followed the children's gaze. "Ah, don't worry. You'll make lots of new little friends!" he reassured them.

"Hmm..." replied Deniz, curious.

Sanem noticed Deniz's look.

"Deniz?" she called to him.

"Hmm?" he replied as if absorbed.

"Who are you looking at like that? You're spellbound." his mother pointed out to her.

"Huh? No. I was looking at the other kids." he replied tentatively.

"Ah..." his mother replied, pretending to target him. He knew that look all too well. Deniz was curious about something... or someone. Sanem tried to follow his son's gaze, to see who it was, but noticed nothing in particular.

"And if he was impressed by a beautiful girl?" she wondered. "Ah! No, eh! He's too young! The only love he can have until at least 16 is me!" she said to herself.

Mevkibe and Nihat looked at everyone, passing the grandchildren and then Can and Sanem. They exchanged a glance. Nihat shrugged. Mevkibe began to communicate with her eyes to her husband, rolling her pupils from side to side. Nihat took her by the arm, trying to calm her down. Since the girls had left home to form their respective families, Nihat found himself forced to learn his wife's language once and for all. It was Melihat who gave him lessons. A true full immersion. So at that moment he knew perfectly well that his wife was ranting inside. Nihat tried to keep her quiet as much as possible, but all of a sudden....

"SO! What's wrong with you all this morning, huh!!!? What is this silence?!" exploded Mevkibe aloud, looking at Can and Sanem.

"Ahhh!" Sanem out of fright screamed.

All those present turned to look at them mutely.

Now there was silence!

"Mevkibe..." hissed Nihat.

"Mom! What a fool you make of us!" exclaimed Sanem in a low voice with the urge to dig a hole in the immediate area so she could hide her head in it like ostriches, out of shame.

"It's your fault!" shouted Mevkibe pointing her finger at her.

"Mevkibe!" rebuked Nihat scolding her in a loud voice.

By now they were already under everyone's gaze, so she tried to save her family's image.

"Mevkibe, turn down the volume on those earphones. That people don't want to hear you shouting on the phone, my dear." said Nihat slyly.

"But what cuf..." she was about to reply.

"Ah, Ah! Mama!" exclaimed Sanem, interrupting her, handing her headphones. "How many times have I told you not to use those earphones. They distort the audio and then you scream. "Here." she said, handing him hers. "Use mine for your business calls." she added, winking at her to play along.

"Huh? Mevkibe, you're getting recognised. Listen to your daughter." replied Nihat. Then turning to the people around. "Excuse her."

"Yes, excuse me." replied Mevkibe. "This technology kills me!" she exclaimed with the look of a serial killer.