4. First day of school

Start from the beginning

He drained the poached eggs and placed them on a tray with a pie lid on top to keep them warm when they woke up. She checked her watch. It was 15 minutes to the alarm clock. He had to make it. She picked up the phone, went back to the recipe page and reread all the ingredients needed for the owl sandwich. Some wholemeal bread, carrots, vegetable mayonnaise, roast ham and apples.

"What is that! What combination is that?!" she commented out loud, realising the ingredients.

"Apple with roast ham and mayonnaise? In the same sandwich? But these are crazy!" she exclaimed.

"I always get scolded for my culinary combinations, but psss.... if the family read this, my food pairings are star chef by comparison!" she said, laughing to herself.

Having said that, Sanem froze, turning serious again. "Calm down Sanem!" she said to herself, taking a deep breath. "Hold on. Don't get caught up in the euphoria. You are a writer. And you don't judge a book by its cover. So... let's read the process... maybe it will hold some surprises for us."

"The apples will be used to create the owl's eyes, and the carrots will be shaped to create the little legs." she read.

"Ahhh!" she exclaimed. "Did you see Sanem? You had to read all the way through!" said to herself, laughing. "Now it's explained. Hmm, then it's not so bad." she added. He remained silent for a moment in thought and then sprinted back to the refrigerator, hurriedly opening the door.

"Better make a test one for me..." she said. "Let it not be said that Sanem poisoned her children by ruining their first day of school!" exclaimed pulling out the carrots and vegan mayonnaise made by Mihriban's skilled hands.

"Oh, no! No, no, no, no!" she then exclaimed from inside the fridge.

"The roast ham... it's not there! I was convinced it was there! Yet...' she said rummaging all over the place.

Meanwhile, Can, hearing all the commotion, had woken up and still half asleep, followed the noises coming from the kitchen. With a tired step and rubbing his eyes, he came in with his head down.

When he looked up, the scene that appeared before him was more or less like this: he saw fruit and vegetables spilling out of the fridge at speed, one after the other. A hand was picking up and placing everything on the island. It looked like magic from Can's point of view. If it hadn't been for Sanem's voice, loud and clear, resenting the roast ham... he might well have thought he was dreaming. He rubbed his eyes again, hoping that the tragicomic scene before him was not real. The kitchen no longer existed. It looked as if a bomb had exploded and at the same time a hurricane had passed through and turned everything upside down.

The devil of Tazmania was leaving order in its wake.

Can remained motionless, blinking wordlessly. A slight smile was appearing on his face... he was about to burst out laughing, he could feel it. So he took a deep breath to suppress it.

Meanwhile Sanem continued her search.

She opened jars, smelled things, moved others around... alternating comments like:

"Hmm, what's in here?"

"Ah, no... maybe it's down here."

"What about this? It stinks!"

"No, no, in the freezer!"

"No, no, not there either.... Phew!"

"In the vegetable bin, maybe one of the kids hid it as a joke." she said rummaging.

Can covered his face with one hand, trying not to laugh, then he cracked open the fridge door and knocked on it with the knuckles of his hand.

No reaction. In the total silence Can heard loud but muffled music in the background. He understood. Sanem was wearing headphones.