Chapter Five: Shattered Illusions

Ella arrived home with little trouble, feeling as light as air for the entire ride. With the passing of time and the relief of completing her chores, the embers of hope had grown to a flame; small, flickering, but there nonetheless. The heat gave room for her desires to rise from the depths of her mind, and she allowed herself to imagine what it would be like to attend the ball. She dreamed of wasting the night away in a flurry of music and dancing, wearing the finest gown. Maybe she would even meet someone, a man who would sweep her off her feet. What would it be like to be courted?

     What would it be like to be courted by Charles?

     Cheeks burning, Ella entered the manor and headed to the kitchen, where Reina was eating a bowl of stew. She looked up as Ella came in, a smile lighting her face. "Welcome back, dear! How was your trip?"

     Ella approached the table and set down the basket, then sat down in the chair next to Reina. "It was nice, I enjoy getting to go into the city." She smiled as she remembered her afternoon with Charles.

     Reina narrowed her eyes and leaned closer to Ella, scrutinizing her face. After a moment, her smile widened and she laughed as she backed away. "You did more than enjoy it, it seems. What happened?"

     Ella let out a nervous chuckle as her eyes darted around the room, looking for an escape from Reina's motherly curiosity. "Oh, nothing, really, I just went shopping and walked around the city for awhile -" Her eyes landed on Reina's, who was looking at her with an expression that practically screamed, "Seriously?" Ella let out a small sigh before smiling defeatedly, knowing that there was no use avoiding the subject. "I may have met someone . . ."

     Reina let out a delighted squeal and grabbed her hands happily. "Who? How? Was he nice? What did you do?"

     Ella laughed and squeezed her hands as she replied, "Slow down, slow down! I'll tell you everything, I promise."

     So Ella recounted her shopping trip to Reina, who reacted accordingly to every detail. She was shocked as she heard about how Ella had fallen, suspicious of the silent bodyguard, and by the end, was smiling approvingly as she heard about the afternoon Ella and Charles had spent together, making small talk and flirting.

     "He sounds wonderful, dear. I'm glad you've found someone to fall in love with, you deserve some happiness," Reina beamed.

     Ella stuttered as she started to protest, cheeks on fire, "W-Wait a second, no one said anything about falling in love!"

     "That's always how it starts," Reina laughed.

     "Well, we're not quite there yet," Ella replied, trying to banish the blush from her cheeks as she prepared to make her escape. "It's almost five, so I have to go help Anastasia and Drizella get ready if I'm to have enough time myself." Standing from her seat, Ella leaned down and gave Reina a hug. "I'll see you tonight," she said with a smile.

     "Of course, and do be safe dear! Tell me everything when you return." Reina replied.

--------------------

     "This is worth it. Kindness, Ella, kindness."

     As she attempted to both tame Drizella's hair and block out the incessant chatter of the Tremaine sisters, this sentence ran through Ella's mind repeatedly. All she had to do was make it through this, and then she could go get ready for the ball. Just thinking of it sent an excited tingle down her spine, and how could she not think of it when she was a mere hour away? While Ella was thinking of the ball, however, all the girls could seem to think about was the prince.