Chapter Four: Fates Intertwined

The ride to Falton wasn't a long one; only fifteen minutes by horse. It was a rather uneventful journey, but Ella enjoyed the small bit of freedom from the manor's walls. She watched the trees turn to fields, and then she was upon the city walls. She entered with no trouble, and was as amazed as ever by the sights and sounds of the capital. Ella was only recently allowed to do the shopping, and even that was a rare occurrence. The city held so many things she had never seen, and she was awestruck by the bustle of the crowds, the vendors calling out their wares, the children laughing and playing in the streets. The buildings were large, and some rose up almost as high as the city walls.

Ella dismounted Shadow, then grabbed his reins tightly. He wouldn't go anywhere without her, but that wouldn't stop a thief from trying to steal him. She wandered the streets, taking in the sights of the city, and blending in seamlessly with the crowd of people, Shadow faithfully behind her. The city had a constant murmur, with some voices rising above others as the crowd ebbed and flowed like the sea. Ella looked at items on display, occasionally stopping to purchase things she needed, but never lingered too long. Time stopped for no one, and she had to get home as soon as possible to make sure that she was able to attend the ball.

"Come on, Stefan! You used to be so much more fun when we were younger."

A selection of meats caught her attention, and she turned to examine them.

"I grew up."

She decided on one to buy, and looked up to speak with the vendor, who was busy with another customer.

"No, you grew bitter - Oh!"

Ella's shoulder was suddenly pushed rather harshly, and she and her basket both tumbled onto the hard cobblestone. Her spine and the back of her head protested with a sharp burst of pain, and she closed her eyes for a moment. When she opened them, a wavering hand had appeared in her vision, and she blinked to clear it. Then she heard a whinny, and the hand withdrew only to be replaced by Shadow's white mane as he sniffed at her hair. As the pain dulled, Ella laughed a little and reached up a hand to pat his nose. "I'm okay, boy, it's nothing to worry about."

She got to her feet and grabbed Shadow's reins again, only to hear, "My lady, I'm so sorry, are you sure that you're alright?"

Ella turned and was surprised to see not one, but two men standing in front of her. The one on the right had light brown eyes - not quite the same honey-color as Reina's, but just a bit darker; the color of molten gold. His hair was a much darker brown, and it hung slightly in his eyes. He was slim in stature, but quite obviously not weak, even with the cape he wore. In his hands was Ella's basket, and he had an apologetic look on his face.

The man on the left starkly contrasted from the one on the right. He was a little taller, and his skin was deeply tanned, while the other man had fair skin. His hair was as dark as night, and as wild as any creature within it; loose curls spilled over his forehead and just barely stuck out from behind his ears. His eyes were a dark, rich brown, and they held a seriousness that seemed beyond a man of his years. His expression was similarly calculating, like he was trying to see into Ella's soul. His hand was on the hilt of his sword, which just barely peeked out from the cover of his cape, although his body language was more defensive than aggressive.

Ella focused her attention back onto the man who held her basket, and smiled at him. "Yes, I'm quite sure." She saw the man next to him relax, but his hand never left his sword. He continued looking at her with narrowed eyes.

"Here is your basket, my lady. Once again, I am terribly sorry for my rudeness. Is there anything I can do to make it up to you?" He reached out to hand her the basket, and Ella took it from him. As she did, she noticed a golden ring on his finger, inset with a diamond. Obviously, this man was some form of nobility, which explained the distrustful bodyguard standing next to him. Ella spared a moment to wonder why he would bother slumming in the lower district of the capital.