19. The Ghosts of Corona (requested)

Heyyyyy it's been a while since I've updated this book (I'm sorry)! This one shot was requested by DisneyReferenceQueen . I hope you all like it!

Genre: supernatural, angst, modern au

Warnings: a little blood

Spoilers: minor; season 3
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Varian's POV:

My heart felt as if it was going to burst out of my chest. The rest of my body felt the extreme heat radiating from all the nearby buildings.

"Varian, this way!" Rapunzel's cries were more frantic now.

Still, I forced my burning legs to keep moving forward. I needed to follow the princess.

However, my body felt otherwise as my running pace began to decline severely. I clearly wasn't in good shape. Thankfully, Rapunzel let me catch up before grabbing my hand.

"Try and stay with me, alright?" Rapunzel pleaded.

I nodded, which was my signal for the princess to continue running. Only, this time she held my hand tightly.

"We have to find Eugene and the others." Rapunzel pushed Varian into Xavier's shack and frowned when she saw that the entrance to his secret layer had been completely blocked off.

"What do we do now, Princess?" I asked nervously.

"We'll just have to find another way," Rapunzel decided. "We'll get out of this, I promise."

"Not so fast, kiddos."

I could feel my body freeze at the sound of Andrew's voice. I slowly flipped around and saw Andrew gripping a sharp sword tightly. It was pointed at both me and Rapunzel.

"I won't let you escape just yet." Andrew smirked. "As soon as I give the word, the entire kingdom of Corona will be destroyed."

"I can't let you do this!" Rapunzel fumed.

"Oh, but I will," Andrew scoffed.

Before I could say anything, the ground began to tremble. The brief sounds of explosions could be heard coming from town.

"What the-- what's happening?" Andrew cursed.

Rapunzel grabbed my hand once again and we dashed around the scattered debris.

"No matter what it takes, I am going to keep you safe," Rapunzel declared. "You can count on that!"

Everyone was screaming and crying all around me and it was painful to listen to. The people of Corona were scared because of me. It was all because of me.

"Varian, look out!"

Before I could reply to Rapunzel's cry, something hit me in the back of my head as a massive combination of sounds exploded in my eardrums.

I guess we couldn't make it out on time, huh?

The next thing I knew, I had blacked out.

Y/n's POV (two centuries later):

"Alright, class, please follow me this way," my teacher, Ms. Brown directed.

I, along with the rest of my classmates, obeyed what she had said and followed her to thr ruins of some sort of ancient castle.

I had no idea an antique castle like this was even close to my neighborhood, I thought.

"This right here, class, is what's left of the kingdom of Corona," Ms. Brown explained. "Long ago, there was a battle between Corona and their neighboring kingdom, Saporia. What happened during the battle remains a complete mystery, but we do know the outcome. Corona lost and was left in complete shambles. Now all that's left is the ruins that we see today."